80's Ross Pit bike build UPDATE 5-6-12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will tell you that having a newborn does not make it easy to work on bikes. I pretty much had to put my Build off bike on hold for a long time. The only real bike I'm working on is at work. So I got a hold of an 80's ross pit bike. I want to build it for my son and can justify spending time building it for him, also its so small its easy to work on in the house :) I really fell in love with the appliance spray paint and plan on using it on this bike. Im going to make it white and black. The looptail frame design looks hutch to me so I'm going to make sort of a Hutch tribute pit bike. The Graphics will look like hutch but it wont say Hutch. I want to try to drill holes in the rims to look like pro class rims but if that does not work I will end up getting Black skyway mags. I would love to have some Black and white oakley B-12's but wont spend the money for them for this build, but I have a trick up my sleeve that will look pretty cool. Here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

23m0g9c.jpg

xkt5hh.jpg

Re: 80's Ross Pit bike build for my son

Here are some parts I have for the bike

I love the new Odyssey chainwheel so I got it and put the pit bike cranks that came with the bike on it. Its 27 tooth
jgtlzt.jpg

The Seat clamp looks enough like a hutch one for me but only cost me 8 bucks, I took all the white paint off and painted it with black appliance paint.
73i0ep.jpg

Odyssey 2000 brakes are my all time fav brakes. I got him one for the fromt since the rear will be coaster brake. I need to paint it black too.
2n8r1nc.jpg

Re: 80's Ross Pit bike build for my son (new parts)

That clamp does look very Hutch. I may do a pit bike in the near future just for fun...plus at only 5' 5" I could actually ride it with a long enough seat post!

You totally should, its fun to work on a bike thats so small. its totally different then working on an old 26" tank bike.

This is going to be a very nice bike when done based on your vision. Even though I would have taken a different approach. I believe that it will be Rad as your vision describes. If me and my program can help in anyway please feel free to let me know. I love to see the legacy of BMX preserved.....Earl :D

Its been a long time but Im almost finished with it. I have the chain ordered and the freewheel. After I put it together this morning I realized that I put the Sprocket on the wrong side :) Hella Tight is Norther California slang. Im sure by the time my son is old enough to ride this thing it will be redone how he wants it to look.

Untitled by Papas & Nic, on Flickr

Hey man, sweet bike. I love the picture of yr baby swinging blurred in the background. What seatpost is that? How long is it?

Latest posts

Back