UNLIMITED Three's a Crowd (Pleaser).

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided that the 24" 1976 Sears & Roebuck Free Spirit Ted Williams Jr. Edition trike is up. The only other bike I've had longer was the specialized (After Thought) that I entered in the last build. So using this build as the excuse to get this back up and running. Not 100% on the direction it's going to take, got a couple hard to find parts on the list, but if I apply myself I think I scrounge them up.

This is one of the only stock pictures I could find with the same 2 bar frame all the others were a larger single bar. The only year with the rear seat brace. And this is the only year with a rear differential and larger 3/4" axels rather then a straight bar 15mm axel. It has a Shimano 3 speed coaster hub bolted to the frame between the front sprocket and the rear differential.
2.jpg

This is the 1st day I got it and put the tall apes on it. The original bars are on the ground next to it. And I had taken the original wire basket off and put a cooler in its place.
IMG_20230620_235540.jpg

And last year I stripped it down and painted the frame and that's how it's sat since. I'll be painting it again.
IMG_20230810_121115310_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Diggin' the tall apes! Keep er rollin'!

Looking forward to your trifecta plan for this one.

Going to be brushing up on my welding. Thinking I'm going to cut the front off from the seat post tube forward and graft the front half of a men's late 60's Hiawatha frame to it but sorta make it shorter and a bit longer with a bit more rake on the head tube. The plan is wider, lower longer and laid-back and if I can figure it out without to much trouble and time permitting I may bag the rear end. I've been looking at that frame for 2 years and I'm just going to swing away. I'll post up some plans after I'm done staring at the frames for awhile. I'm shooting for a stance halfway between these 2 trikes. Probably closer to Captain America.
Screenshot_20240511-135809.png

Screenshot_20240511-140023.png

Last edited:
This is gonna be groovy!!!

Alison Brie What GIF

Perfect!

Uh?
Puns aside, that would be sweet.

I really like the direction you're headed with this one!
I'm gonna smush it down so it stands shorter. I'm not going to need the seat post tube so that will be trimmed down and I want to move the bottom bracket forward. The more I look at this I'm most likely going to use it as a template and fabricate a whole new frame from mostly cut up and rewelded 80'-90's steele mtb frames. I honestly think it will be easier and most likely have a cleaner finish then chopping this one up and adding to it.

I knew this was going to get out of hand on me. Lol.

Going to be brushing up on my welding. Thinking I'm going to cut the front off from the seat post tube forward and graft the front half of a men's late 60's Hiawatha frame to it but sorta make it shorter and a bit longer with a bit more rake on the head tube. The plan is wider, lower longer and laid-back and if I can figure it out without to much trouble and time permitting I may bag the rear end. I've been looking at that frame for 2 years and I'm just going to swing away. I'll post up some plans after I'm done staring at the frames for awhile. I'm shooting for a stance halfway between these 2 trikes. Probably closer to Captain America.
View attachment 265156
View attachment 265157
First build name that came to mind when I saw that first picture:
"Easy Wider" :grin:

I had originally been thinking
"TRI as I Might" maybe when it's done I'll post up a few suggested names and put them to a vote and I'll have some custom decals and a head badge (decal as well). made for it with it's new name.

Speaking of that, who here makes decals? I want some made for my past builds.

Pulled some potential donors from one of the parts sheds. Next is pulling actual potential parts.
IMG_20240513_125620306~2.jpg
IMG_20240513_125600821~2.jpg
IMG_20240513_124900865~2.jpg
IMG_20240513_124939912~2.jpg

IMG_20240513_124926874.jpg

This is just part from 1 of 2 sheds and a storeroom. If I have the time I'm going to make a couple different versions.
See "OUT OF HAND"!!

A few days before I joined last June, all I owned the trike the specialized Sirius I entered in the last build and a cheap Chinese electric mountain bike. And my 93 Diamond back Turbo. All this and much more happened in less than 10 months.

Last edited:

Easy Wider is an gweat name, especiawy if you can find some Elmer Fudd stickers.
Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm building twikes.

1715624551040.png

Back