YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (6th Place) *revised*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ......NOW SOUTHERN FLYER (Boardtrack Bars)

Machine Age Victim said:
Is this the "heat with a torch then bathe in used motor oil" method?
I used a gun barrel finish called Plum Brown and yes you do heat it to about 275 degrees first.
3 wheeled wolfy said:
Love it!!
Thanks. :D

congrats on breaking 5000 views!!!!!!

Troy

Kick butt!!! Um, I mean, those suck! You should send them to me so I can use them for parts.

Great job man! I may have to build me some after the build off for the NDN (hope you don't mind)

rat-a-tac said:
Kick butt!!! Um, I mean, those suck! You should send them to me so I can use them for parts.

Great job man! I may have to build me some after the build off for the NDN (hope you don't mind)

Why wait? Make some now, they would look great on your build! Better yet, I'll send you the bars if you send me the tank off of NDN. :mrgreen:

The frame finish is done! (At least for now :wink: ).
It was a very tedious and time consuming job, but worth it in the end. The bronze color turned out just as I had hoped for! It's a pretty close match to the fenders.

I feel pretty certain now that I'll go with the silver bars just to add more brightwork. It will need it to help balance things. (You guys called it.)
There probably won't be any paint on the entire bike when it's done!

I stuck this unknown chain wheel on to see if it sticks. I only have two choices at this point, this one or a CWC teardrop.

100_5429_zps6d2fe098.jpg

A closer look...
100_5431_zps71379933.jpg

I was a little disappointed when you switched frames as I really want to se the motobike finished, but this bike is also amazing. The frame matches the fenders wonderfully and I can't wait to see it completed.

Re: YZ-24 MotoBike ...now SOUTHERN FLYER (Bronze frame color)

Thanks milbums. I have to say that I was more than a little disappointed myself. It was a hard decision for me to make. I will finish it however.
This bike has been fun and totally different from the Yamaha.

That last picture sort of symbolizes the two bikes, the YZ-24 is out of focus and in the background but not out of the picture! :D

:shock: I need to know the sorcery in which you get that finish!

dang that finish is incredible! I like the ring you got on it allot also! Both would look great though tough choice!!!!!!!

Troy

Wow , that is some nice faux patina!! i like that chain ring and its aqua color, i thing it fits well with the frame, i would even say same color rims could compliment the whole thing

The Renaissance Man said:
Brilliant !! much better than the way i done on my Road-Track-Racer .... with this setup you could even add the plate that hang the seat rails , and attach a mirror or anything else :idea: 8)

Can't believe I missed your build ?!
The frame brass finish looks incredible 8) 8) and the stance to your bike is awesome

Looking super sharp buddy!
100_5429_zps6d2fe098.jpg

Thanks for the kudos from everyone!

3 wheeled wolfy said:
:shock: I need to know the sorcery in which you get that finish!
No sorcery needed, just look up gun bluing or browning on youtube.
jats said:
dang that finish is incredible! I like the ring you got on it allot also! Both would look great though tough choice!!!!!!!

Troy
Thank you Troy. I'm gonna try the other ring tomorrow.
OneHorsePower said:
Wow , that is some nice faux patina!! i like that chain ring and its aqua color, i thing it fits well with the frame, i would even say same color rims could compliment the whole thing
I really appreciate the compliment. Faux would mean artificial or imitation, but this is the actual metal! I guess it's sort of faux just because it was chemically induced. :) I didn't notice that color on the chain ring, it's picking up that color from the grass nearby but your right, that color goes well with the bronze!
OneHorsePower said:
The Renaissance Man said:
Brilliant !! much better than the way i done on my Road-Track-Racer .... with this setup you could even add the plate that hang the seat rails , and attach a mirror or anything else :idea: 8)

I like your idea for using saddle side plates for a mount. I'll keep that in mind!
noodlenoggin said:
I. Love. That. Finish. 8)
Thanks again!
MplsCoaster said:
Can't believe I missed your build ?!
The frame brass finish looks incredible 8) 8) and the stance to your bike is awesome
Thank you, looking forward to seeing it on the ground!
kingfish254 said:
Looking super sharp buddy!
100_5429_zps6d2fe098.jpg
Thanks my friend!
deven_science said:
Brightwork? Did you just betray a navy background?

I'll agree with the others. That finish is awesome. Great job.
Thanks...No Navy background here though. I was using the term loosely, not as much as a sailor would, but more as it applies to polished metal pieces on cars or airplanes.

Back