You in with what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tempted to drag out my SK since everyone seems ok with bikes entering with minor false starts. I had started fitting a convertible tank to it almost a year and a half ago but shoved the parts in the corner when last year's build off started. I was concerned then that it would be perceived as cheating so I changed course.

If no one has a problem with it being resurrected, I could drag it back out instead of having to wait a month or more for the molds to be finished for my new tanks. But, to be clear, I did cut the tank to fit the frame back in January 2022, so if that is out of bounds, I totally understand.

I'm tempted to drag out my SK since everyone seems ok with bikes entering with minor false starts. I had started fitting a convertible tank to it almost a year and a half ago but shoved the parts in the corner when last years build off started. I was concerned then that it would be perceived as cheating so I changed course.

If no one has a problem with it being resurrected, I could drag it back out instead of having to wait a month or more for the molds to be finished for my new tanks. But, to be clear, I did cut the tank to fit the frame back in January 2022, so if that is out of bounds, I totally understand.
I believe in the resurrection. ;)

Go for it

I'm tempted to drag out my SK since everyone seems ok with bikes entering with minor false starts. I had started fitting a convertible tank to it almost a year and a half ago but shoved the parts in the corner when last year's build off started. I was concerned then that it would be perceived as cheating so I changed course.

Go for it! It's not built... Bit like butterball,started,but is nowhere.

For a couple of weeks now, I think my wife has been drugging me 'cause for the last 2 weeks I have been entertaining building a rear steer bike out of a couple of "tag-a-long" bikes I got for my children years ago; can't find the other one yet. I feel that rear steer has GOT to be a bad idea, so any comments, criticisms (don't hold back), successes, and more importantly willingness to show/discuss failures would be wonderful. As a rookie builder, I feel I should perhaps sit this one out and watch from the sidelines....

Attachments

• 20230426_085512[1].jpg
    20230426_085512[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Hmmm. Like a rear steer front wheel drive? Or a rear shaft drive with pivots on the drive to accommodate steering?

Both sound pretty cool to me. Difficult to engineer the second. Hmmm.

For a couple of weeks now, I think my wife has been drugging me 'cause for the last 2 weeks I have been entertaining building a rear steer bike out of a couple of "tag-a-long" bikes I got for my children years ago; can't find the other one yet. I feel that rear steer has GOT to be a bad idea, so any comments, criticisms (don't hold back), successes, and more importantly willingness to show/discuss failures would be wonderful. As a rookie builder, I feel I should perhaps sit this one out and watch from the sidelines....
You'll still be a rookie if you do it this year or next. your first will time will be your first time.

Seems like we get a pretty large European group this year... Netherlands (@BartRidesEternal and @Frankie plekhand ), Poland (@Starnger and @GeePig ), Greece (@Funkme ) and Germany (@SwissGuy ). Nice!

I'll throw my hat in the ring with a class 2 build this year. As stated in another thread I'll marry these two ladies into one SwingBike for my kids to have fun with...
IMG_20230415_180808306_copy.jpg

IMG_20230416_142038229_copy.jpg

And for class 1 I'll maybe give the Skinny'matic from the last Winter Build Off another try. That project never got beyond the "pile of parts" state. The frame is still laying underneath my camper and the parts box is in my shed...
IMG_20221002_174337865_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like we get a pretty large European group this year... Netherlands (@BartRidesEternal and @Frankie plekhand ), Poland (@Starnger and @GeePig ), Greece (@Funkme ) and Germany (@SwissGuy ). Nice!

I'll throw my hat in the ring with a class 2 build this year. As stated in another thread I'll marry these two ladies into one SwingBike for my kids to have fun with...
View attachment 229245
View attachment 229246

And for class 1 I'll maybe give the Skinny'matic from the last Winter Build Off another try. That project never got beyond the "pile of parts" state. The frame is still laying underneath my camper and the parts box is in my shed...
View attachment 229248
If you have any Torpedo Dreigang wheel sets left after taking these beauties apart i will gladly buy them from you ;)

What? Did someone say Monkey??😂😂 Sorry, wasn't paying attention since being distracted with something that fell in my lap on 4/21......View attachment 229019View attachment 229018

I've been looking for a frame to replace a broken Huffy made Western Flyer without much luck until a friend headed to the Midwest Swap in Haysville sends me a text offering this and long tank Shelby before he heads out for Kansas. I balked at first but didn't want to learn the collectors motto again: "The time to buy it is when you find it!"

Parts from this broken bike will transfer over. Others will come from my parts pile. View attachment 229020View attachment 229023View attachment 229022View attachment 229021

Full disclosure: since I picked up the bike mid day Friday & had work to finish, there was no way I would be able to focus until I verified the tank would fit. View attachment 229024View attachment 229028View attachment 229027

And dropped a couple chain guards in place from the top of the pile to get a couple ideas & be able to focus on work related activities. View attachment 229026View attachment 229025View attachment 229029

I would like to use this to get back into the big build off but if I have disqualified myself before it starts please let me know.(won't hurt my feeling) I never thought I'd see a Twin Flex in person, much less own one & got a bit excited. Nothing else has been done. Been too busy. Lots of work left for this one & have to check into a seat tube repair that may need more attention but should make a pretty cool rat!

Great image @kingfish254 !! Would love to make a t-shirt of that.🤩😍
Holy snapping turtle dove's.... just look at that rear suspension... never seen that and on such an old bike...WOW!

Holy snapping turtle dove's.... just look at that rear suspension... never seen that and on such an old bike...WOW!

Having spent many years riding/racing mountain bikes, this is my first full suspension bike!! From 1938! It came with the original, broken fork and what I believe are heavier springs. Should be a lot of fun learning how to get everything working smoothly. :thumbsup:
IMG_20230421_140104355.jpg

I also like the room at the stays for fat tires. Unsure how fat since I'll need to account for suspension travel when time to build.
IMG_20230421_150305658.jpg

Back