You in with what?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! 346 bikes are so nice, glad to have more of them here!

I myself am thinking of taking part with the leftover cut frame pieces i have in my workshop. Probably am going to make a stretch cruiser out of them :)
Like that head tube, belly tube and bottom bracket from the Electra bike i've cut apart for this winter build off :)
219835-IMG-7557.JPG
Awesome that you are in!

I like 346 bikes because they are generally large. The 346 I have (not yet at home unfortunately) is a ladies frame, but with beautiful lines. Thinking about converting it via 'class2' into a gents.
And I have a wheelset from 1944/46 from the US.

Wheel see what happens, very excited to see everyone back for another buildoff!

Awesome that you are in!

I like 346 bikes because they are generally large. The 346 I have (not yet at home unfortunately) is a ladies frame, but with beautiful lines. Thinking about converting it via 'class2' into a gents.
And I have a wheelset from 1944/46 from the US.

Wheel see what happens, very excited to see everyone back for another buildoff!
That yellow beauty i saw on Marktplaats? Great it ended up in good hands! :)
Nice, would be a great company to my Good Old Days cruiser! I still have another two or three 346 ladies frames waiting for their turn to undergo a similar modification :)

This looks to be another cool build off. I will enter my 39 Roadmaster as I completely pulled it down a few weeks ago as the fork was binding and I always hated the spray bomb white paint job the previous owner did. I will be stripping the paint off the frame and fork and hope to do some sort of raw finish.
85CE0A26-E107-431A-982E-9E4DDCDB53FE.jpeg
EEE1A06D-50D9-443F-B9EC-329FAAA4BD4A.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome that you are participating Funkme!
Thanks It's been a couple of years, of ups n downs, stress, moving twice ,breaking fingers, but finally feel I have my mojo back.

That yellow beauty i saw on Marktplaats? Great it ended up in good hands! :)
Nice, would be a great company to my Good Old Days cruiser! I still have another two or three 346 ladies frames waiting for their turn to undergo a similar modification :)
Yes that frame on Marktplaats! I saw it, asked the guy about some dimensions and decided to buy it. I will arrive this week probably.
Yesterday I took a look on your "Good Old Days cruiser" link and I remember that build! I have rougly similar ideas with the frame.
Depending how it all turns out (frame geometry, looks) I will buy a roadmaster tank I saw for sale somewhere.

Anyway, can't wait!

I really want to modify this again.

View attachment 228607
I've been scrounging around for parts that I need for a Class 2 concept that my friend Los mentioned the other night. Still has the wheels in my head turning, and the plan isnt solidified yet...
View attachment 228608
It has something todo with that stretched 37 roadmaster doublebar I modified a few years back.
View attachment 228609
What's one more major structural modification to this frame to make it another one of its kind. ( I learned about @Uncle Stretch 's Colson's after I made it. )

The bike has had a lot of hard use since then. Looks nowhere near what it is in the photo.

Looking forward to your next progression of this. I've always loved that this frame came out similar to UncleStretch's, but with no knowledge of U.S. . This build should be cool to watch.

Looking forward to your next progression of this. I've always loved that this frame came out similar to UncleStretch's, but with no knowledge of U.S. . This build should be cool to watch.
Thanks Kingfish. You were the one who pointed out to me a couple years ago about the Uncle Stretch Colson's. Was good to see my build was similar to a great idea.

I can't wait to start. So excited about the update. Been pulling different parts from the shed that I think are strong enough and the right size. Some new shoes on order. Still gotta figure out the right bars and wheels.

Even have the bandsaw updated with a new metal blade, rather than using the cutoff wheel this time.

Build Name is taking a lot of thought.

….. someone had to Rat-Rod an England 3 speed;
View attachment 228810
You mean like this?
20150819_124226.jpg

I was able to get this Indian branded English roadster up to 30 MPH in the quarter mile. Built in a WBO one year. Was a fun bike. Gave it to my brother for his birthday one year.
20230420_164821.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I was exaggerating when I say that after several months and over 200 concept sketches later, I only just made up my mind on my entries for this year's Build Off earlier this week, but that's no joke. I had a lot of ideas for how to use up the 30+ donor frames I have sitting in storage, but in the end, I chose to keep my first Class 2 entry simple. Well, simple when compared to some of the other ideas I came up with, that is.

Here's what I'm entering into this year's Build Off for Class 2: my blue freebie girl's Huffy, my freebie "gravity trike," a few freebie road and track bikes, and some other bits and pieces I have laying around (that I also mostly got for free.)
BftD_blue_huffy_25.jpg
BftD_gravity_trike_4.jpg
BftD_ff_8-19-22_1.jpg

My plan for this odd mishmash of frames is to cut them up and weld them all together into one playful little three-wheeler I like to call The Tinker Toy Trike. The idea is that this trike will be small enough to fit in the back hatch of my daily-driver Ford Focus, but it'll still be big enough for me to ride it comfortably. It probably won't make for a great regular rider, but it'll certainly be a fun little toy for me to goof around with and feel like a kid again.
BftD_The_Tinker_Toy_Trike.jpg

In addition to my Class 2 trike, I also have a bike I plan to enter in Class 1. I'm planning on doing an extremely mild custom build with my recently acquired JC Higgins Flightliner, where I plan to leave all the parts stock, but do something a little different for the paint.
BftD_JC_22.jpg

Looking forward to participating in the Build Off again, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing what everyone else builds too!

I wish I was exaggerating when I say that after several months and over 200 concept sketches later, I only just made up my mind on my entries for this year's Build Off earlier this week, but that's no joke. I had a lot of ideas for how to use up the 30+ donor frames I have sitting in storage, but in the end, I chose to keep my first Class 2 entry simple. Well, simple when compared to some of the other ideas I came up with, that is.

Here's what I'm entering into this year's Build Off for Class 2: my blue freebie girl's Huffy, my freebie "gravity trike," a few freebie road and track bikes, and some other bits and pieces I have laying around (that I also mostly got for free.)
View attachment 228816View attachment 228815View attachment 228817

My plan for this odd mishmash of frames is to cut them up and weld them all together into one playful little three-wheeler I like to call The Tinker Toy Trike. The idea is that this trike will be small enough to fit in the back hatch of my daily-driver Ford Focus, but it'll still be big enough for me to ride it comfortably. It probably won't make for a great regular rider, but it'll certainly be a fun little toy for me to goof around with and feel like a kid again.
View attachment 228818
In addition to my Class 2 trike, I also have a bike I plan to enter in Class 1. I'm planning on doing an extremely mild custom build with my recently acquired JC Higgins Flightliner, where I plan to leave all the parts stock, but do something a little different for the paint.
View attachment 228821

Looking forward to participating in the Build Off again, and I'm especially looking forward to seeing what everyone else builds too!
Looks like a whole Lotta fun! Can't wait to see what it becomes. 😎

….. someone had to Rat-Rod an English 3 speed;
View attachment 228810
Nice old Raleigh built bike. It looks like a 22 inch frame, which if I’m not mistaken is the largest they made back then. I think they came in 20-21 and 22 inch? Panaracer makes a slightly larger tire for these bikes with the old 650a rims. The Panaracer tires most likely won’t clear the fenders. I have these Panaracer tires and they are marked 1 1/2 inch wide. The seat is really nice. It looks like the rims might also be made so they will work with rod brakes? I’ve read that this type of fork is not up to curb jumps and other rough use as they break at the tubing leg mounts. I can’t wait to see what you do with this bike.

Last edited:
195192-20220529-115604.jpg
This may be this years build for me. Still trying to round up enough parts to make it happen. Hopefully Memory lane is two weeks out will fill my shopping cart. I picked this up a couple weeks after build off started last year. I guess someone thought a 39 murray mercury pacemaker wasn't cool so they repainted and added schwinn decals and head badge. If the parts all fall together this will be my build base.
195193-20220529-115614.jpg

Latest posts

Back