Yet another spoke length question......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a front and a rear wheel apart to have the rims powder coated. Since as long as I had the wheels apart I decided to replace the spokes and nipples with black ones. So, then, I figured as long I was at it I'd change the lacing pattern from a two cross pattern to a one cross pattern and I went ahead and ordered the spokes from Holmes Hobbies. When the spokes arrived I took them and the other parts to a guy to have him assemble and true the wheels. He just called me and said the spokes are too long. I took the measurement for the new spokes off of the old ones without thinking, "are the spokes in a two cross pattern the same length as they would be in a one cross pattern"?
Keeping in mind all things, except the lacing pattern, are the same, can anybody help me with my dilemma.
Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

1 cross will, indeed, require shorter spokes than 2 cross. I also gotta ask: why go 1x? Unless you're lacing a large-flange hub into a small-diameter wheel, there's not going to be any benefits and there will be some drawbacks in terms of strength, since the spokes will all face the same way on the flange.

I agree with the Monark: lace it up 2x. You already have spokes in the proper length, and it'll most likely produce a stronger wheel.

Thanks, for your help Monark and 808.....I'm going back to the 2X. The only reason I wanted the 1X was, because I liked the look. These are 12ga spokes on a E-hub.
I know it was obvious (now, that I think about it).
Thanks, for coming to my aid, guys.
BTW, 808, I picked up my junk and I'm going to give it a go myself...wish me luck, Hom-Boy. (grin)
Regards, kennyb

If my inept fingers can succeed in lacing a wheel, I know you can do it, as well. Start with the front wheel and don't rush. Thread everything loosely to begin with, then take up the slack...a little at a time and equally...all around the perimeter. The more deliberate you are during this step, the more "centered" the hub will be when the time comes to apply tension and true. Not everyone finds wheelbuilding to be a soothing and satisfying task...but I do.

Last edited:
Your description of wheel building reminded my of the adds in the back of, "Boys Life," magazine...
Wheel building is easy, once you learn some basic rules. Like which way the drive side spokes go and where you start....
Way to easy for someone to get in over their head...
Maybe we should do a wheel building thread.

While wheel building wasn't one of things on my bucket list, it's starting to sound more and more like it will be. I like a challenge and this little project offers one and with the encouragement I'm getting from you all it should make it much easier than going after it solo. I love the idea of a wheel building thread, even if I won't be much of a contributor until I earn a few notches on my gun. I know it would be a fun learning experience for me and I hope others agree and find the subject interesting enough to warrant starting one.
Thanks, everybody, for freely sharing your skills and knowledge with the rest of us. I, for one, really appreciate it.

Thanks!!
It much more encouraging going into this when you know someone has your back.

Wheel building is not for the faint of heart...it is an art and some are good and some are horrible at it. In my opinion, it becomes mandatory as you do more
builds....I like the idea of starting a new discussion on how-to...
Step-by-step procedures are important. Those that learned from past
mistakes will have a lot to offer......

Back