Yard Sale Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I passed on this ( '40? ) Hawthorne on Friday at fifty dollars, but it kept popping up in the back of my head later in the day so I went back and was able to get it for twenty five. Any suggestions on how to remove the coats of white and orange house paint?

DSC04337.jpg

DSC04338.jpg

Passed on it at $50.00 ? you are lucky it was still there, you should have given him $75.00 for "holding" it for you, Nice Find

That bike would have been gone before the sun came up in my part of the world.
You are lucky!

WOW! i'd go buy a lotto ticket after that ,you are very lucky !

Sweet find bro!
I'd sand blast the whole thing...I took a bike to a guy in Madison and he charged $40 for the whole bike.
Tank, frame, rims, book carrier...you name it!
Good luck!
FORWARD!

Wow, I would have paid $100 and left as fast as possible.

Here in New England, I am apparently one of 6 million people looking for old bikes. Stuff sells on CL or yard sales in seconds. You are a lucky man.

FOUND OBJECTS said:
Sweet find bro!
I'd sand blast the whole thing...I took a bike to a guy in Madison and he charged $40 for the whole bike.
Tank, frame, rims, book carrier...you name it!
Good luck!
FORWARD!

Thanks for the advice, I'll check around Green Bay to see what the rates are for blasting. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with it as I'm up to my elbows in projects right now. I bought it from a woman who was the niece of the original owner. The bike was ordered from the Wards catalog and delivered by train to Luxembourg Wi. The kid who ordered it got a ride into town from the farm with some tools and assembled the bike at the station, then rode it home.
I was told that he courted his future wife who lived on a farm several miles from his by riding this bike back in forth between the two farms. I'd almost hate to rat it out with a story like that. Cheers

I've had success removing house paint from bikes by using diluted paint remover...wipe it on and wipe off quickly. Some folks have used oven cleaner too. Just do it in small sections.

Back