Yard art?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Someone just dropped this bike off, gave it to me, said it was his fathers and it has been sitting outside for about 5 years. I don't know what it is or if it will come apart. Any idea what it is? Truss rods are gone, I can see that much. Skip tooth. It has a New Departure Model D coaster, but both hubs are frozen.

Last edited:
Cool. I'd start spraying the BB, hubs and headtube down with PBlaster. Worse rust than this have been brought back to awesome ratitude.

Carl.

Cool. I'd start spraying the BB, hubs and headtube down with PBlaster. Worse rust than this have been brought back to awesome ratitude.

Carl.
I haven't been able to find PB Blaster locally for awhile. I went to Tractor Supply with my buddy yesterday to get hydraulic fluid for his tractor for our yearly wood cutting and I noticed they have it. I will have to go and get some. I put Liquid Wrench on the front axle and managed to force them tight enough to hold the wheel in place. I now have it hanging in my shed. The seat post turns and I was able to raise it without loosening anything so thats not stuck. It has a cool looking stem but I don't know if that is frozen or not. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. I would like to find out what make it is before I do anything. It's too bad the skip tooth chain is so throughly rusted, it feels like a rod. I was going to just give up on it but PB Blaster might at least get it to where I can drive a pin out.

You found any serial numbers? What and where they are, go a long way towards identifying mystery bikes...

Carl.

You found any serial numbers? What and where they are, go a long way towards identifying mystery bikes...

Carl.

I can find no numbers or a vestige that would suggest a number. Bottom bracket, head tube, drop outs and all tubes seem to be free of numbers top and bottom side. It must have some marking somewhere but I can't locate any. It has a faded spray bomb coat over the original black and white paint. Overspray and one new pedal indicates someone made a rudimentary effort to keep it going but the tires are so rotten and brittle you can break off chunks in your fingers so it must have been many years since it was ridden.

Last edited:
Once you can get the chain off a soak in vinegar will do wonders for removing the rust. Same with the other smaller parts.
I'll give that a try, I have nothing to loose. I once did this and the chain broke when I tried to ride it. I looked at it and it had fine cracks on every link but only on one side, weird. I have been gun shy to try this ever since then. How long do you leave chains in vinegar? I think I left it in for several weeks, came very clean. I suspect it could have had other problems before I soaked it. I think it will all come apart, based on the seat post (hope hope). I wish I knew what brand t is. There was a Columbia Westfield suggestion and the sprocket is the same as some of the other older Colunmbias I see pictures of on the net, but the frame is different. I think it might be from the 50s, not the 40s as I originally thought. There is no dog leg crank and no peaked fenders. It does have a 5/8 inch steel rod for a seat post. I wonder if it is a Frankenbike? I have seen Early AMFs, just after they bought Roadmaster in 1950 that had skip tooth chains and round fenders.

Last edited:
Definitely deserves a better life than yard art! If you have O'reilly Auto parts there, they always have PB Blaster. I have disassembled way rustier bikes than that one. Great find!

I would strip the paint off the bottom of the BB with some paint stripper of some kind, some of these older bikes the numbers are stamped light enough they can't be seen thru even just a couple layers of paint.

Normally I only soak parts in vineger for a day or two. Depends on the amount of rust. I have never soaked anything for a week or more.

I'd rebuild it , up too you it's yours after all !

~Rafael~

Spray it with PB everyday until things loosen.then soak the chain.best to mix lemon juice with vinegar. 50\50.
Only soak the chain 24 hr.then soak it in 20w oil until ready to use.

Definitely deserves a better life than yard art! If you have O'reilly Auto parts there, they always have PB Blaster. I have disassembled way rustier bikes than that one. Great find!
No O'reilly's here but we have Auto Zone and NAPA. I never thought to check the auto parts store for PB Blaster. Good Idea.

IF the chemical route does not work, mega heat (red hot) will set you free.
I have used red hot heat and wet rags wrapped around the red hot piece. The steam blasts it apart. One of my hot rod buddies unfroze some lever action shocks for me like this once. He overdid it and the mounting holes for the bolts on one shock were melted away.

I'd rebuild it , up too you it's yours after all !

~Rafael~
I will get it working but I don't know what form it will take. Seems like a bike made out of parts and with some missing stuff so it won't be restored. I guess you could restore this Frakenbike with existing parts. Haven't decided. I'll probably play musical bike parts and strip it and use the parts on some of my other bikes and then build the frame into something.

Well if the wheels and chain don't make it, you still have a very cool frame/fork. :thumbsup:
Got the rear wheel off and it rolls like a potato chip and has missing and twisted spokes. The inside of both rims are very rusty anyway. The chain is still in the same shape, it thinks it still has a chain wheel and cog attached. It's toast, some of the rollers are rusted right through and there are gaping holes. I might try an oxalic acid dip but it will probably end up in pieces. It looks like I'll have to ditch the skip tooth components. I can't get the wedge out for the stem but the seat came off. Stem wedges seem to always be stuck. I had to saw or break off all the small fender nuts and bolts as well as the one on the coaster brake arm. The coaster brake arm strap was made from plumbers tape. I still have not tried to loosen the head set, pedals or crank. I will saw of the crank if I can't get the right pedal off. I think you are right, frame, fork seat, bars and stem are all that is salvageable. I put more PB Blaster on it and will try it again tomorrow. The easiest and cheapest thing for me to do would be to make a Klunker out of it but I already have one and have 2 other frames I want to use for Klunkers. I have a ton of klunker parts, 2 sets of Shimano friction thumb shifters, front derailleurs that fit the small tubing, a set of old Araya rims, Bendix manual 2 speed hub, front and rear old drum brakes, 3 forks, 3 sets of bars, cool stems, etc. How many Klunkers does a guy need before people start to wonder about him? I might just hang it up for a later project?

Latest posts

Back