wrong gender find/Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A gal at work offered me her Dad's old bike he bought new, as a kid. He is now 75. he said he bought it at the age of 13. This is what they found in the shed. As her dad said, its his sisters bike. They dont know where the Dads bike went. It was there 20 years ago! LOL.
Not sure if I want to do a gender change, or do a rat rod for the wife, as this bike is about the same age as the bike I got from Dogdart, and both are Western Flyers. I am gonna need a rear fender, and a fender light. Lemme know if ya have one for sale.
DSCI0353.jpg

DSCI0359.jpg

DSCI0358.jpg

DSCI0354.jpg

DSCI0355.jpg

DSCI0356.jpg

DSCI0357.jpg

I think a scotch-brite wash, and then flat clear may make it look decent. Theres a little bit of the original red on the bike still, and the white and green pinstripe should clean upwell.
I want to get a colored tire for it. Cream? White? It has 26 X 1.75 now, can I get a 26X 2.125 on? PM me with any offers for a fender and light. Oh, and a set of truss rods....

I just got done tearing it apart, and found 3 welds broken. SO,its gonna get a gender change, and full repaint. I definately need a rear fender, that is peaked. A set of truss bars, and a front fender light.Sorta rat-roddy, but nice paint .

Plans change....Gonna keep it a gal bike, gonna weld her up. Hoping Dogdart has a fender, so I can paint soon. Tires Ill buy sunday at Bicycle heaven. Light can come anytime.... Jeff???

Well, the thing is about 70 yrs old, so something is gonna give! Good luck!

its welded up, bodyworked, primed, antique white has been shot, waiting a few days before I mask and shoot the red. Oxalic acid bathed all the parts, and most cleaned up really well. Wheels were bad, so I lacquered them in silver, along with the bars and stem. Tires on, bearings are greased, awaiting time to assemble after the paint is dry.. Got green Testors for the stripe, then Im gonna clear over all the colors and stripes. Its being done in Rustoleum, so I gotta give it plenty of dry-time between color changes.About two weeks, she'll be ridable.Looking for a front rack for her....

Back