wretched 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Galtbacken, I did make the headlamp. Wanted it to have the feel of an old oil lamp. Used a tin can,old wrench,miscellaneous lamp parts,some copper and an headlamp I bought at a flea market.
Just bought an old leather bicycle tool bag on ebay which I will use to hold the battery for it and the rear lights.

LRay,I have not given up yet on the ape hangers. But with all I want to do and limited funds I will use the handlebars I have until I can find something different.

Great work, I think you achieved the feel you where after! I thought that one part looked a bit like a wrench, and at the same time it looked like a very nice part for a lamp, so you got me confused there for a while. :D

Since friday was my birthday I decided to take the day off and work on my bike. Not hard to do since I work for myself.
Did not really have any specific idea for a chain guard but had two similar pretty generic ones laying around so decided to use them.
As can see I lengthen it by about 7 inches and also continued the front curve by about 3 inches.
I want to put an etched name plate on it but not sure what else it might need?? Any ideas out there?
chainguard.jpg

Have also started laying color on the rear fender. Will post images when done.

Even though I am still working on the chain guard I was itching to see if the color scheme I was thinking about was going to work.
Want an older 30's 40's feel to the color so this is what I came up with.
colorscheme.jpg

Definitely to shinny but not sure if it is to "new" looking. May do some antiqueing to it???
Any thoughts?

Great looking colour scheme! Not too shiny at all i.m.o. It'll antique itself when you start using the bike. 8)
And, although maybe a little late to say, happy birthday!! :D

Re: wretched 2-tail lights

g-ratter said:
Thought I was done welding on the frame when I remembered I needed to add the brackets for the tail lights.
Used some cut offs from the rear triangle of the frame and some Harley turn signals I found at a junk shop for $2.00.
Any one know if I can get red covers for them?
taillight1-1.jpg

taillight2.jpg

Duplicolor has a color called metal-cast red, It is made to go over chrome and give it an anodized look, works great for turning amber light covers red, I used it on my minibike lights.
cans_metalcast.jpg

Outskirts thanks for the tip. Been trying to figure an inexpensive way to make them red.
Galtbacken thanks for the B-day wishes. It was a good one. Spent all day working on the bike.

No problem I actually found out about it by accident, I was using it to paint the fender and had masked the light but not very well, got some on a corner and it looked great so I sprayed the whole light.

What type of bottom bracket are you using? If it's a sealed what width is it? Also, what cranks/chain ring is that? I've been looking for a simple black setup like that.

The crank/chainring is just a cheapy one my LBS ordered for me. About $25 for it. Came in chrome or black. Sorry I do not know the brand.
The bottom bracket will depend on your bikes set up. My original one was rusted solid so had to buy a new one. Took 3 tries to find one that gave me a straight chain line. Again just a cheap $35 one.

Been searching for some grips to use. Wanted something different and old looking with some style. When I saw Steppers homemade ones I new they would be perfect.
I changed out the black tape for the string technique I posted earlier and this is what I came up with.
Used some watercolor to give them a stained look before coating with amber shellac.

Close Up:
gripdetail.jpg

Overall View:
handlebars.jpg

Re: wretched 2 pedals

Paint job is done. I am putting it back together this weekend but wanted to get something up for those who are in need of a rat bike fix.
Many thanks to Pinche for offering me these way cool pedals!! A little paint and faux job and they were ready to go.
Hope to have another post of it together soon.
paintedpedal.jpg

Still working on all the little details. One of which is the front brake. Very tight squeeze to get it around the tire but it just fits.
Even though the brake cable was black and it worked fine with the color scheme I wanted to change it up some how. Thought of how they wrap the motorcycle mufflers to protect from burning the riders legs and thought that might give it an older gritty look. Found dome 1/2 inch cotton ribbon at the fabric store so sprayed the cable housing with glue and just wrapped the whole thing.
Stained it with some coffee but may still need to dirty it up some more???
Here are some images:
brakecable.jpg

cabledetail.jpg

Wiring the lights is next. One area I am unsure of. Will see what happens.

Cool bike!!! What kind of frame did you start with? Is it a mountain bike frame? Also are those 24" wheels/tires? Again great job, it's coming along well!

Since it's cotton thread, you could try some used (or new) motor oil or wood stain. The stain would probably go on rather dark though.

I just noticed those tires are slicks! Are they Ritchey Mobey Bites?

Lovin' this build so far! Can't wait to see the finished bike!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Back