WOULD YOU KEEP A VIDEO BUILD OFF JOURNAL?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
With build off 10 quickly approaching I thought it might be cool if several of us would try to document our builds via video this time.

Not talking anything really fancy....just capturing quick clips with your smartphone. What I'm thinking is that I could try to create multiple user accounts on the RRB Youtube channel and then folks could upload their video clips directly to the playlist that I set up for their build. This would make it easy to organize your videos and you wouldn't have worry about creating your own Youtube channel, etc. If someone else has a better idea on how to organize it all logistically, feel free to chime in.

Let me know in this thread if you'd be interested in keeping a video journal this time around

I have a Toshiba video camera that is advertised as Youtube ready, jut plug it in, but I have never figured out how to use it for that purpose. I haven't been able to upload anything that I could put on Ratrodbikes so far. Perhaps your idea would work? Who knows, perhaps I'll give it a try, if you decide to go ahead. I don't have a cell phone as they don't work everywhere up here.

Cool idea, but I doubt I would have time to also upload video during the build.

Yeah, I'd do that if I do B.O.X... at the moment I have four bikes up for sale on Trade Me and can only do the build off if I sell at least one. :rolleyes:

Glen.

Would this be organized by each build or chronologically like a daily news summary of build progress for everyone who submits a video that day?
Would be cool to watch a brief summary video each day.:)

I'm in!

I was actually planning on doing this anyway!

For those that don't know you can add photos to Youtube videos as well, so if you want to start your video off with "live" action and end with detail photos that can happen too.

I was planning on just sitting at my computer for the first video, with the build sketch up on the screen behind me and try and talk the viewer through the planned features, then step outside and share the parts I have gathered...

Future updates on video would also be good to show moving parts in action, particularly if you have made some weird underslung, pullrod, leafspring springer fork that might be hard to visualise otherwise... :39:

Luke.

Edit: Yes, I fully expect you will laugh at my Aussie accent, I have to admit, Steve sounded different than what I expected on his Yamaha motobike video...

Last edited:
I have every confidence you can make your own smart phone and that it would be better than a lot of other smart phones on the market.

- by Gigmata
77f5c9738dd387227f76eeb90a187b5f.jpg

Like most people, I absolutely hate the way that my voice sounds on video.

I just ordered a $25 microphone for my iPhone off of Amazon to see if I could improve the video sound quality. Too bad it won't make me sound like a radio announcer too. :21:

I am really liking this idea. I don't think I will be involved in this build off because I started already but now I can watch with no pressure. :)

- by Gigmata

Then that's another reason to get another frame :thumbsup:

I'll record the progress of my build, it will be my first, don't know if I'll have a chance for another one.

With build off 10 quickly approaching I thought it might be cool if several of us would try to document our builds via video this time.

Not talking anything really fancy....just capturing quick clips with your smartphone. What I'm thinking is that I could try to create multiple user accounts on the RRB Youtube channel and then folks could upload their video clips directly to the playlist that I set up for their build. This would make it easy to organize your videos and you wouldn't have worry about creating your own Youtube channel, etc. If someone else has a better idea on how to organize it all logistically, feel free to chime in.

Let me know in this thread if you'd be interested in keeping a video journal this time around

I will keep a video log ... Sounds fun! Should be interesting as this will not only be my first custom bike build but also my first build-off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a couple of test videos of the progress of my Yamaha Moto Bike.

The first video was shot with my iPhone 6 and the onboard microphone....terrible sound quality! :mad:

The second video I used a Movo PM10 Lavalier microphone that I bought off of Amazon for $25. It works with any smartphone and as you can hear, the sound quality is MUCH much better.

Steve, Much better sound with the mic!

Agreed!

I'm not sure if i'm going to participate in the build-off this year, but I know that i have a lot of problems with even just snapping photos as i build, so taking video seems even less likely. That being said, i think it's a great idea, and I'd probably like to watch other folks' video footage....

I foresee a part video and part photo journal in my future. I'm wondering if an all video journal may be a bit tedious to go through. Sometimes I go through the photos pretty quickly for a brief look just before I walk out the door to go to work ( like right now ), or between other general daily "goings-on".

I foresee a part video and part photo journal in my future. I'm wondering if an all video journal may be a bit tedious to go through. Sometimes I go through the photos pretty quickly for a brief look just before I walk out the door to go to work ( like right now ), or between other general daily "goings-on".

This is a good point. Maybe the videos are more like weekly recaps.. Or maybe the videos are for folks that don't like to take photos of every single thing that is done on the bike. I guess it's all up to the builder, but I have a feeling the format will be different with each bike.

Someone could even choose to film a number of very short clips and combine them into one video that they post at the end.

I'm not putting any limits on it.

Back