Worskman 3 wheeler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd56

It's all about the tanklights
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This one kind of fell into my lap yesterday.
Not sure of the age but thought it was cool....till I got it home and found that the left rear wheel had been welded on. Pretty sure this wasn't factory. It was a survivor from the local Ford Plant that closed a while back.
Obviously it was repainted, which factories did to clarify what dept it belonged to.
I realized that the rear left wheel was wobbling and found the weld. It is possible this was a quick repair and the repair dept at the plant didn't square the wheel before the initial tack welds.

but it does have some cool looking tires. brand is unknown to me but are "WTC".
Wonder what that means? Maybe something like "Worksman Tire Co"??

attachment.php

My local co-op bought 15 of these at auction last year, when items from the Sparrows Point steel mill went on the block. Two remain and both of them are the single-speed model...I've worked on them both. The rear hubs on these are square keyed to the stub axles and secured by a large central nut. The weld sounds like an expedient repair, and one that was poorly accomplished at that.

The proper name is the Worksman Adaptable Industrial Tricycle...and it's still being made. The modern difference is a switch to polycarbonate fenders.

SmooothThree started life as a 3-speed Worksman trike, until it can across my handheld chop saw and combined with several other road and touring bikes!

SmooothThree.jpg

Worksman trikes are built to last; this one had been left outside and stored inside a garage (wet) for years but ran nicely after degreasing and repacking with new synthetic grease, a good cleaning and repainting. Although they are heavy, they are stout!

For parts for your Worksman go to: http://www.worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/recreational-trikes.html

Well I let it go today. Just so many projects I decided this one was a bit out of my element.
The guy that took it off my hands is a welder friend of mine. He a d figured it out, that the rim was bent and the axle nut was welded into place.
The crazy thing is the guy lives the wobble. It reminded him of Jed Clampets truck. He has no plans if straightening it...what ever floats his boat. Its out of my control now.
Thanks for responses guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is why I have a hard time finding bikes here. We're closing on a new house Thursday though and I can see an old tank bike in one of the neighbors yards so I'll be introducing myself promptly. I also have someone who wants to give me a trike that they put a 3 speed nexus on for free, but waiting until after the move for that.

Back