wooden handle bars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While on the subject of wood used for bikes: Project Okes

OKES_oak%20lifesttyle%20bike%202.jpg

okes_V2.jpg

okes_lifestyle_bike_2_2.jpg

Solid oake shaped with CNC machinery - I like it 8)

If anyone wants to make wooden handlebars it would be easy with Ash. Ash trees can have plenty of long straight branches of the right thickness and is a very strong wood that seasons easily and is the best wood around for steambending. The best place to look is dense woodland that has self-seeded Ash trees of varying ages growing straight to get to the light. Select one (or several of different sizes to be sure) that is thicker than you will need because of shrinkage during drying (seasoning) get it home and peel the bark off (easy in the summer) and let dry naturally, this may take several weeks or longer but it must be as dry as possible naturally. Now it's ready to cut to length and do your filing and sanding. Don't finish with varnish or you'll be repairing all the scratches you get. Use Tung Oil which is the most waterproof natural oil there is - and pure tung oil is food-safe. Build up plenty of coats for a waterproof finish (the Chinese used it to waterproof boat hulls). Now you have the finished handlebars :)

here's a bike i am slowing building. it has a wooden seat i made. will make some wooden grips and maybe fenders too.

JWSMOCKUPBIKES060.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES061.jpg

this is my full size burrito

Outlaw

I'm feeling the itch to build a bike out of 2x4's this year!! ...And I wonder how one keeps thos wood grips tight? Wayyy cool though! ~Adam

thats funny,Burritozoid, yep i like it. be glad when i get that one done. thanks

Outlaw

i saw a cool bike with wooden bars last weekend at a vintage motorcycle show. it was right next to a fully restored excelsior board tracker. i would have got pic's but my battery fizzled out.

the bars where pretty cool, looked more like bull horns than handle bars.
the bike had crazy wooden rims also.

Back