wiring up multiple lights to old school tanklights anyone have any ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well in my recent post about my camaro i noted i plan to wire up the taillights on ym newly acquired saddlebags to the headlight.
when i tried to wire them to the original tank light switch i could not get them to work.
i was thinking of a 4 way junction box or something of that nature but i am unsure as to how to do such a setup.
i know alot of my fellow rrbers have wired up some pretty amazing lights and i was curious if anyone had any ideas how to wire mine up.
the saddlebags are from motorcycle and i have all the lights wiring and bulbs i just need to figure out how to make them work.

also what kind of battery should i use for such a setup where it wont die out 5 minutes after i turn them on.
i have considered a motorcycle battery and maybe a fuse box but i don't know if i need to do that much.
so anyone have any ideas? i have a huge pile of junk i can use so if anyone has any good ideas to fabricate a setup im open to ideas
thanks in advance
Sean
would also like to note im not against converting to led in fact im really interested in doing so i just hate to chop up my working original tank light since this is what draws me to this bike.
thanks again
sean

I have a suspicion that any lights that came off a motorcycle will have power requirements far above what a few flashlight batteries can provide. Aren't most MC equipped with 12 volt systems? That's a minimum of EIGHT cells right there, and I doubt they'd last very for long. Converting everything over to LED's would, despite the extra work, almost certainly provide the most satisfying outcome.

The issue is Amperage, the "volume" or "flow" of electricity which requires a large battery for a long run time with conventional bulbs. Voltage is equal to "pressure" in electrical lingo.

Replacement 194 marker lamp LED's draw 1/4 the current @ 12v than the standard bulbs. I think there would be a resistor inside each bulb replacement LED to drop the voltage which would turn your battery current to heat so hard wiring LED's and only running a 3 battery (4.5) volts setup would be more efficient.

For more info:
https://mattgadient.com/2006/10/12/...s-how-much-of-a-power-savings-can-you-expect/

SLA battery would be your answer. Small and 6 or 12v and mine is 1.3 a h and is tiny measures about 4x1.5x2 inches. Rechargeable also its agm. About $25 from batteries plus. Easily concealed in a tank. I run a led 1157 up front and 2 led 1156 for the rear. Super bright and all tucked in automotive housings.

Wow - interesting!
I thought SLA was a size no its a type Sealed Acid Battery. Many more sizes than I thought too!
I have an old kids ride on toy (steering brokeen) I am gonna mess with that one first.
Here are some specs on one 12v one.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sla-sealed-lead-acid/duracell-ultra/12/slaa12=1.3f
814490.jpg

• Voltage: 12
  • Lead Acid Type: General Purpose
  • Capacity: 1.3AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Product Category: Sealed Lead Acid
  • Terminal Type: F1, T1, Faston .187
  • Weight: 1.6003 lbs
  • Length: 3.82 in
  • Width: 1.69 in
  • Height: 2.28 in.

Wow - interesting!
I thought SLA was a size no its a type Sealed Acid Battery. Many more sizes than I thought too!
I have an old kids ride on toy (steering brokeen) I am gonna mess with that one first.
Here are some specs on one 12v one.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sla-sealed-lead-acid/duracell-ultra/12/slaa12=1.3f
814490.jpg

• Voltage: 12
  • Lead Acid Type: General Purpose
  • Capacity: 1.3AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Lead Acid Design: AGM
  • Product Category: Sealed Lead Acid
  • Terminal Type: F1, T1, Faston .187
  • Weight: 1.6003 lbs
  • Length: 3.82 in
  • Width: 1.69 in
  • Height: 2.28 in.