Winter Studs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read about people making their own studded tires before and decided to try it for myself. I started with a couple of old 2.6" Kenda tires off my downhill bike and used 1/2" #8 self-tapping screws for the studs.

tirestudding.jpg
That's a lot of holes to punch: 223 front, 256 rear.

inside.jpg

tirestuds.jpg

taped.jpg
I used 3 wraps of duct tape on the inside, plus I made tire liners by cutting the stem from an old tube, then slitting it all the way around and placing another tube inside.

tirestuds2.jpg
Looks like something from a Mad Max movie. Now I'm waiting for the snow and ice to return....

IceBike.jpg

No kidding guy! It's strange to come back from a ride with leaves and small sticks hanging off your tires. Even with the cantilever brakes it stops well, must be all that traction. :mrgreen:

just dont ride on fresh asphalt, you might get stuck. :wink: :lol:

We were out mountain biking today, sure could have used those tires! Lots of sheer ice sheets on the way up, even the dogs went sliding a few times. I'll see about the video....wheelie? er, yeah no sweat :roll:

I bet it would do a number on wood floors too. Have to leave it outside my house. You could make them alot longer and ride around your yard and pick up all the leaves. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
I bet it would do a number on wood floors too. Have to leave it outside my house. You could make them alot longer and ride around your yard and pick up all the leaves. :lol:
Or tile. I have carbide studded tires that have scratch the entryway at work.

Just thought I would and my two cents to this post. :mrgreen:

I use probably half the screws OCD uses, I ride it for commuting on both clear roads and or snowing icy conditions.
so I just put screws down the sides. To keep the center channel a contact patch for dry conditions .
Seems to ride pretty well on a dry road , there is more rolling resistance :roll: and some noise but not to bad with the screws to the side of center.

I'm sure 3/8" screws would work but the 1/2" look so cool! :roll:

blackbike008-10.jpg

I drill every other knobby from the outside in, Then screws from the inside out
blackbike009-9.jpg

I use a heavy duty tube THORN RESISTANCE these are super thick! the box alone is three times a normal tube.
comparison pic

2011blackbikeSchwinnjan002.jpg

2011blackbikeSchwinnjan003.jpg

I use a Tire Liner inside tire..
2011blackbikeSchwinnjan004.jpg

I have found that a 26x1.75 tube works better then a 2" wide tube the fatter tube will sometimes sit out past the liner
and rub on a screw head that will eventually cause a flat.... I rode all last winter over three months with out a flat using a 1.75

2011blackbikeSchwinnjan007.jpg

blackbike011-8.jpg

After a snowing commute
blackbike011-4.jpg

2011blackbikeSchwinn011-1.jpg

Blackbike003-6.jpg

blackbike021-1.jpg

I would love to use both a rear and front studded tire but there is just no room for screws with a 3"rear
This is the third winter I have used a studded front and just love the extra control it gives me in slippery conditions. Knock on wood I have not had any problems with the rear tire. The 3" wide contact patch can't hurt. :wink:
The main thing is that with a studded front I can brake and steer with out falling.

Latest posts

Back