Winter Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently living in Wisconsin and would like to keep riding a bike in town during the winter. However, all the bikes in my collection are too dear to me to let road salt and slush get all over 'em. So, I picked up this USA-built Murray "Siesta Key" today dirt cheap. It will be my winter bike. Got home and after about 20 minutes had it looking a little more to my liking. I might add a small Wald wire basket painted black to the front for holding beverages, etc. :wink:

JcyB

Jcyw

Re: New Winter Bike & Quick Transformation

cman said:
Fenders are great for winter use.

I've got a set I may throw on there. Was wondering about the snow packing up inside the fenders. I don't know, it's not like I'm commuting on the thing. Just a cruise for fun or down to the gas station once in awhile.

The snow will pack up to the point where you start having problem. It has only happened once in my last 5 years of commuting. The snow conditions have to be just perfect for that to happen. I would not worry about it.

Gotta love winter riding.

downsized_1219081708.jpg

My winter bikes have always had fenders, never a problem.I can see it being a problem if your winter temps are just below freezing and you get sticky soft snow, but up here at -30 temps the snow is powdery and slides right through.

oldrider said:
My winter bikes have always had fenders, never a problem.I can see it being a problem if your winter temps are just below freezing and you get sticky soft snow, but up here at -30 temps the snow is powdery and slides right through.

Actually I've had one winter bike I did not have fenders on but I ran a rack on front and back.

Back