Winged Hawthorne // FINISHED with PICS!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

Re: Old Soul... mo wings, mo betta

So after seeing those last pics^ and thinking the wing chain guard and ducktail fender work pretty well together, it made me want more wings!!

I'm going to try and recreate the lines of my chain guard in the form of a tank plate. I have a sheet of stainless steel I held onto after remodeling a kitchen... it was the backsplash to an intustrial stove. It's pretty thick and there's plenty there to use. I'll mock it up with construction paper before I do any cutting.

Here is my chain guard held up for reference. What do you think?
IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

Re: Old Soul... mo wings, mo betta

Critter1 said:
So after seeing those last pics^ and thinking the wing chain guard and ducktail fender work pretty well together, it made me want more wings!! (sorry KF 8))
I'm going to try and recreate the lines of my chain guard in the form of a tank plate. I have a sheet of stainless steel I held onto after remodeling a kitchen... it was the backsplash to an intustrial stove. It's pretty thick and there's plenty there to use. I'll mock it up with construction paper before I do any cutting.

Here is my chain guard held up for reference. What do you think?
IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

:shock:
That's friggin' awesome! Go for it! I'm a large fan of wings and art deco stuff.

Re: Old Soul.. mo wings, mo betta

Super idea. I love the wing tank.
Lets have a wing sub build off. :mrgreen:
Mo Wings Mo Betta
Love this build.

Hey Justin, I really LOVE your build and cant wait to see the finished product! Your speedo fix & the tank idea: amazing. Thanks for the tip on Emigh Hardware - I've lived in Sactown for 30 years and had no idea that hardware store was so well stocked. You should swing this bike by Old Soul coffee house in midtown when you get done. Bet they'd like some pics of it and you'd probably get free coffee for life!

CCR said:
Do it to it :eek: loving this bike critter !!!
LukeTheJoker said:
Very cool! Perfect additions to the bike!
kingfish254 said:
Super idea. I love the wing tank.
Lets have a wing sub build off. :mrgreen:
Mo Wings Mo Betta
Love this build.
Machine Age Victim said:
Love that tank idea!

Hey thanks guys! It's always cool when the lightbulb goes off in the middle of a build. I'd like to end up with just the right amount of stuff..

gymmanager said:
Hey Justin, I really LOVE your build and cant wait to see the finished product! Your speedo fix & the tank idea: amazing. Thanks for the tip on Emigh Hardware - I've lived in Sactown for 30 years and had no idea that hardware store was so well stocked. You should swing this bike by Old Soul coffee house in midtown when you get done. Bet they'd like some pics of it and you'd probably get free coffee for life!

Hey Gymmanager.. Yeah Emighs is too good a secret to keep quiet! Also, I had thought about maybe getting some pics of the bike down at the coffee shop some time after its done. Free coffee for life??! I'd have to go ahead and move in, and sleep on their couch!

No shop time for me today, but I did get my tank plate template measured and cut out. Its going to be be multiple pieces.. I want it to have a layered 3-D look. I'll weld some tabs to the frame and bolt the two, three piece tank plates to either side.
IMG_2884.jpg

the wing tank thing is gonna look super coool!!!!

Troy

:idea: :idea: Lightbulbs definitely are a good thing!
That wing tank is really going to tie this together!!
Perfect light bulb!

I found some pedals that I think will fit this build just right. I hit the "buy it now" button and paid. Never even looked at the location. I mean, I've bought from out of country before and have yet to have any issues... In fact the Triple Traps I bought for Lackluster last year came from the UK, got em in about a week or so. Anyway about an hour or so after I make the sale, I get an email stating they shipped along with this explaination:

"Thanks for your purchase from us, now I sent your order today, it usually takes about 20-25 working days to arrive if no delay in the custom, if you have not arrived the item until 28 working days, please contact me free and I will check for you where it is, but please don't open the case for us, as it is a big effect for my account, thank you very much for your understanding!"

I understand that it takes a while for things to get through customs, but If you have to have this kind of disclaimer then you've obviously had issues in the past... Hmm, I'm thinking that this disclaimer should be in the auction description, and not presented only AFTER the item has shipped. I'm just sayin.. SOOO, I'll come up with a back up pedal plan just in case these don't arrive by August 3rd!

the12volt said:
Those pedals have been on my watch list for a while now. Will be very curious to know what you think of them when they arrive and hoping they are as nice as they look. I've purchased from buyers with similar disclaimers in the past without any issues. Don't sweat it.

Cheers,
Volt
Cool, thanks man.. yeah the price was good.. and you're right, they have a great look to them.

OK so I won't be using the old Western Auto speedo anymore.. I'll be using this NOS VDO speedo!! I can't believe I scored this thing! Its perfect for this build. Since this bike is going to match my 67 bug, how perfect is it that the bike and the bug both have VDO speedometers??!

IMG_2885.jpg

Here's the custom dash of my bug with Porsche 924 gauges (mocked up). The glove box door is an example of the Dove Gray paint I'll be using on Old Soul.
IMG_2761.jpg

Busy weekend coming up for me, so I won't get much accomplished on the build.. unfortunately. :|

Back