Wife's Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remember what this thing was called, but it was just a cheap bike I picked up on Ft. Campbell with the intent to build a cruiser for my wife. She rode my chopper and liked the stretched-out riding position on it so I figured it was time to build her a cruiser for as little as possible.

Bought the bike new for $70. Came complete with fenders and some tires that looked like gumwalls instead of the blindingly bright whitewalls.

Brought it home and cut the top tube and seat tube away from the frame then cut the top tube and seat tube apart.

Angled the seat tube back as far as it would go and still allow the use of the rear fender if I decided to use it. Also made a new top tube from electrical conduit.

Tore down the wheels, disassembled the hubs, and sanded, primed, and painted the rims and hubs gloss red. Gave them a few days to dry and re-assembled them.

The frame was sanded, primed, then painted with flat black and I threw on some cheap Bell grips and matching seat. Rotated the bars forward a bit to stretch out the rider.

The angle of the seat tube worked out well. My wife is 5'4" and when the seat is dropped down for someone her size the reach to the bars works well. Raise the seat for a taller person and the seat comes back as well which still gives them a stretched reach.

It was simple, but that was the plan. :lol:

4961221083_c1e4f44203_b.jpg

Thanks, man. I chose that one due to the gumwalls and round fenders that were on it. :lol:

Still messin' around with these shots.

4988603875_7afd34c2c0_z.jpg

4989208230_eb2741b4ae_z.jpg

VERY nice.
It's funny, when I first looked at it, I kind of felt "hmmm..ho hum", but the more I looked at it, saw the details, saw the lines and the great mix of colours, it really grew on me! One of my recent favourites now! Great job! 8)

Thanks, man.

She's never been one for fancy stuff - she likes things simple.

Doesn't get much more simple than flat black. :lol:

I was in town today and happened upon a pewter key chain that I thought would be perfect for a head tube badge.

Spent a few minutes forming it to the head tube and it was attached with some adhesive.

60391_1189776441853_1751610005_359811_5243406_n.jpg

Back