Why Wouldnt This Work??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this 40t sprocket and want to use it if I can. Note it does not use a drive pin but is sorta squareish where it fits on the kids crank. Well I placed it on a regular crank and it fit near perfect with virtually no side slop at the hub. Drive pin fits between the "spokes" and sticks thru enough it will not jump out. Sooo would it work?? I see no reason why not. I am planning to use this on my tryke build.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The drive pin doesn't look that tight. I would drill a hole in one of the spokes for the drive pin, otherwise it will loosen and the pin will slop back and forth within that space and it would be annoying at a minimum. How would the chainring be secured to the crank, just friction? If so, I wouldn't want to count on that holding.

It actually probably would work, since on a trike you shouldn't be cranking on it too hard. Without a hole drilled it's not ideal, under stress it could slip. So unless you just love the look or are on a tight budget I wouldn't do it either.

Carl.

That oval hole fits pretty snugly and when you tighten up the bearing nut thing it aint goin nowhere. Drilling a hole for the drive pin is an option tho. Not sure yet if I wanna use it cause I think I am gonna do a 36/22 ratio build. Was thinking about a 40/24 but that requires Ebaying a freewheel out of China.

I checked with Niagra and shipping alone was 20.00 for a 40t sprocket. Can get one on Ebay around 11.00 shipped. I am gonna use a 36. Got plenty of them. Ordering a 22t freewheel tomo.

If you can get your hands on a little kids (Chinese) bike they are a great source for small sprockets, cranks, stems, bars, ect, :D

Your LBS can sell you that same sprocket, probably about $7 or $8.... but 36t will do nicely, too.... 36x22? That's a >43" gear. Gonna ride that trike offroad? :grin:

Your LBS can sell you that same sprocket, probably about $7 or $8.... but 36t will do nicely, too.... 36x22? That's a >43" gear. Gonna ride that trike offroad? :grin:
Not goin off road. This ole trike is alittle heavy so was decideing which gear I wanted so I settled on 36/22. Not doin the 40 but I will hold onto that sprocket and maybe drill it for the drive pin.

Back