Why do you ride your bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I want to stay under 300lbs.

I can get to nearby places without resorting to motor vehicles, or take a long hard ride just for the selfness of it, or take a leisurely cruise down the C&O canal towpath with nature & friendly people. But mostly, out of all the toys God has given me, the bicycle is my favorite.

1) because I still can
2) because I love to ride
3) its why I love to save old bikes....I get to ride them whem I'm done!
4) I want too
5) why not
6) its like freedom
7) keeps me in shape
8) meet cool people also riding
9) saves $$$ on gas
10) I know someday I'll be using a trike..... :lol:

It's pure freedom.

Very few other activities will let you do whatever you want. You ride what you want at your speed, when you want, to wherever you want.

No boss (hopefully) telling you which way to go.

No noise as long as the phone is turned off.

No parking fees or traffic to get caught in.

No annual taxes or registration of any real significance, or insurance payment.

The most freedom I've ever experienced was as a kid in the mid 60's, hopping on my bike first thing in the morning on summer vacation, and riding, barefoot, all day long. Only stopping at home to get food and refreshment, then back out until sundown, going anywhere with no restrictions.

Only had to be home at dark. Kids today can't even fathom that concept.

i like rz94's i like to save old bikes and ride them. thats what its all about for me.

When I was a little kid, we lived on a busy street and I couldn't cross it without one of my parents in tow. Despite the restrictions, I managed to explore every front yard on my side of the street. I was only four or five and things were "safer" then, at least we thought they were.
Around the time that I was in first grade, we moved to a quieter neighborhood with more young families and kids my age. With the relaxed atmosphere came a lifting of the "don't cross the street" restriction. It was also around this time that I got my first bike complete with training wheels and the freedom that came with it. I explored every inch of my neighborhood, knew everybody and everything in it and rode so many miles that the training wheels were nothing more than rusty axles attached to bent up brackets. The smells, the sounds, I knew and appreciated everything.
Now when I ride my bike, it reawakens the dormant kid explorer in me. Cars are for transportation, a means to an end, where bikes are more of an experience. I see things that I would have missed in a car. I hear sounds that the radio would have covered up. I wave to neighbors and strangers and I grin...heck I might even smile a bit as I cruise around town. So the question shouldn't be "why do you ride a bike," it should be "why don't you" to those that have forgotten how to have fun...

Hey I just came from a crazy ride through manhattan new york with four of my friends and their choppers, acting like total fools, howling and honking our horns. I love this bike thing! Bump! Lets keep this going, I know they're some more bikers on this site!

BIKE TILL U DIE :mrgreen:

i ride my bikes cause my truck gets 8 miles to the gallon and im a poor teenager, lol

plus the ladies love my beach cruisers

like some of the others, it's the sense of freedom and that it's an experience. It's also very sensory...the wind in your face, the sounds of everything around you, the smells, the fact it gets your blood pumping. And then, at certain speeds, the wind whistles at a certain pitch through my earrings. :)
Mainly though, it's the sense of freedom I feel while riding that I love the most.

Dan Jose said:
Hey I just came from a crazy ride through manhattan new york with four of my friends and their choppers, acting like total fools, howling and honking our horns. I love this bike thing! Bump! Lets keep this going, I know they're some more bikers on this site!

BIKE TILL U DIE :mrgreen:
No pictures?

The most freedom I've ever experienced was as a kid in the mid 60's, hopping on my bike first thing in the morning on summer vacation, and riding, barefoot, all day long. Only stopping at home to get food and refreshment, then back out until sundown, going anywhere with no restrictions.

Only had to be home at dark. Kids today can't even fathom that concept.
Those where the days, some of my best memories as a kid, So riding a bike keeps me feeling young everytime i ride.

short answer, its something i loved as a kid and never ever out grew! :)

loco joe.....very cool videos! Thanks for sharing. Looks like some nice trails where you live.

I ride everyday but not always a cruiser. I use my bike excusively intown and only drive when I leave town. Gotta save gas money for the waterski boat. :mrgreen:

Back