Who's the oldest member ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I had an epithany. I love the classic board track racers, but I never knew what they were called til I saw them here.
My memory is shot, but I finially remembered I built a "racer" in 1973.
Late in high school I had bought a bunch of new parts to restore a pre-war tanker with springer. When I had it finished I rode it over to show the kid who sold it to me. That's when he told me I had to sell it back to him, because it was his dad's bike, and he failed to get permission to sell it. I unrestored it & returned it for my $15. (The old man's widow still has the pre-war gem, and it's still not for sale.) I kept the parts.
A few years out of school I stripped an old tanker (tank already missing) of fenders, kickstand, chain guard to lighten it. I sanded it down & painted it with a new brand of spray paint called Krylon- metalic purple.
I added a new seat, a set of full drop bars from a ten speed and my still shinny wheels, "new" tires & tubes, shinny sprocket & crank & rat trap pedals (with no reflectors). That all set me back over $24 at Western Auto a few years earlier. That bike was beautiful. I showed it to my minister, who used a 3 speed to get around town. He took it for a spin & loved it. He said that was how they used to do it, before light weights were common in these parts.
I can't remember what ever happened to it. I know I never like dropped handlebars. Flipping the original bars never occured to me. That was my first build. I was about 20.
Now I'm curious, who is the oldest member of Rat Rod Bikes ? I'm 58, for a few more weeks. I know Kota is about my age. How old is everyone, and what was your first build ?
Hope this is of interest to some.
Elmer in Staunton, Illinois, 8-6-52 :?:

Your right, I be 58....Had to go through a metal detector last week. Got nervous, thought they were going to "strip search" me. Titanium knee and pins in one shoulder, it sounded like a slot machine jackpot.....I guess I wasn't CUTE enough to search. :lol:
As far as bike builds, messed around as a kid in the 60's, apes and banana seat. But my real FIRST build, click on my intro, it's the first bike. Still got it, still work on it and will re-do it after the build off.

52 here........strip search by strangers sounds like a good time :mrgreen:

KOTA said:
Your right, I be 58....Had to go through a metal detector last week. Got nervous, thought they were going to "strip search" me. Titanium knee and pins in one shoulder, it sounded like a slot machine jackpot.....I guess I wasn't CUTE enough to search. :lol:
As far as bike builds, messed around as a kid in the 60's, apes and banana seat. But my real FIRST build, click on my intro, it's the first bike. Still got it, still work on it and will re-do it after the build off.

It's not a contest !!!
I'm glad I'm not the only old man that still plays with bikes.
Like a lot of old men I don't always view the new crop with optimistism, but the young people on here are amazing & often inspirational.
Don't know if a strip search would be fun or not . Visited a college town a few weekends ago. Several young ladies who rode by gave me dirty looks. I swear I was looking at their bikes :!: I still look at young ladies once in a while, but don't remember why. :oops:
Hope folks keep responding for a while. I find this interesting. What about those builds ?

I get the senior discount but don't ask for it, I have one year before I'm eligible.

12/24/50 ! = 60+ just got done being treated for Prostate Cancer and had a good 3mo check up ! all's on track ..PSA falling..I love technology..sometimes. As a side note I built part of the Loma Linda medical accelerator years ago. The safety system. My job is to build and maintain safety systems that keep people out of radiation areas. For 9 weeks I left work for a long lunch to set in a proton beam that was each day 120 times more potent that we can get in 1 year. Life is strange some times.

I just hit the half century mark on the odometer of life...

I still do the same as I did when I was 18

IM GONNA LIVE UNTIL I DIE.

KZ1000 said:
What about that Old gray haired guy from down by Cape Cod
I'm not positive, but I think he came over on the Mayflower.

Back