Who's the banana seat recovering Guru?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do leather covers im going to recover a 66 schwinn bannana seat with a petes seat kit. The newer seats you pry the area out if its the one i think it is. MB

Make sure the foam is closed cell foam. Open cell foam can draw moisture. I bought a roll of closed cell foam at WalMart in the sporting goods section. It was a roll for camping that you put under your sleeping bag. I glued a layer of that on first with contact cement, then put another layer of padding on top of that. Topped it with leather. It came out nice and is comfortable to ride. Gary
DSC03459.jpg

DSC03858.jpg

I went ahead and did my own recover. I had 3 seat sto work with and every one had various staged of hidden rust once the pans were taken apart. You really don't know til you rip em apart.

I used 6 layers of 1/8" closed cell foam glued together with 77 spary adhesive. I beefed up the rear bushing from OEM 1/4" ID to 5/16" ID to carry my 175 lbs. I used hot melt glue to hold the vinyl in place under the pan.

The cheetah print vinyl is a heavy indoor/outdoor textured fabric that worked great. i have extra material for a few other seats if anyone is interested, PM me for details.

099_zps3c0488ba.jpg

spinman said:
I went ahead and did my own recover. I had 3 seat sto work with and every one had various staged of hidden rust once the pans were taken apart. You really don't know til you rip em apart.

I used 6 layers of 1/8" closed cell foam glued together with 77 spary adhesive. I beefed up the rear bushing from OEM 1/4" ID to 5/16" ID to carry my 175 lbs. I used hot melt glue to hold the vinyl in place under the pan.

The cheetah print vinyl is a heavy indoor/outdoor textured fabric that worked great. i have extra material for a few other seats if anyone is interested, PM me for details.
looks really good. let's see the underside.

099_zps3c0488ba.jpg

Back