Who's messin around with a Schwinn Heavy Duti

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
OK, I know from some other threads that other folks are in the process of building Schwinn Heavy Dutis; I've got one coming thru the mail (thanks, Ind-Chuckz), and I'm pretty amped about it. I don't have anything in-hand yet, but I've been ordering stuff, and trying to visualize the build in my head. It's shaping up to be a neo-klunker cruiser-to-trails
type of thing....

So, who else is building one of these things? What're your plans for it? (Moderators, feel free to move this to the "show me your..." or the "builds" section; I figured this is the best spot for it b/c I'm not actually building it yet...but what do I know?)

Here's what I've got on the way so far...

From Chuck; I'll have to fix those bottle cage bosses, and I'll probably paint or powder the thing white.
20130302_144148_zpsa3def186.jpg

Off ebay; Honda CR-style Renthals in red.
$(KGrHqZ,!hIFEBm,g5MbBRMD!GeDgw~~60_35.JPG

Segmented disc fork, from On-One:
FOOOCR26-3T.jpg

I ain't building this thing cheap; I'm valuing fun over budget. I wanna see what other folks are doing with the same frame.

Thanks, fellers.

Will, I'm down south, in the Cherry Hill/ Camden area. I hope it really gets sick; I'll prolly take it out to the pines and ride trails. Or, just to the pub.

Dr.T- Those frames come up sooooooooooo cheap, man, you just gotta do one. And, since they're new and plentiful, you don't gotta feel bad monkeyin' around with the frame, although I'm not planning to do much more to the frame than shaving the rack bosses/eyelets/kickstand tube...

Im building up the other one! haha, Im personally going for maximum klunkage I"ll try and post pics but I cant figure it out haha

Sitting in a pile in the corner of my shed for the RRBBO8 ...

Heavy Duti frame from ind_chuckz
SE Landing gear
Moto bars
Pork Neck Stem
Rear - Bendix 2 speed manual laced to a Rigida rim
Front - Q/R joytech hub laced to a generic Alex rim
Felt V12 seat
Vans/Cult grips
Red VP alloy pedals
38t Mongoose Alum Sprocket
Chrome OPC
Kenda Krads

some stuff may change but I doubt much ... it's all I can stand not to build it up. I do need to come up with a shifter though lol

I think I can use a shifter knuckle with the locking lever if need be, threw the shifter an dity yellow brake housing in the parts pile just in case :wink:

IMG_68821_zpsfe0c5757.jpg

IMG_68811_zpsb715c78b.jpg

After riding around with some Al's R.T. KOS copies I don't know what to think about the sweep in the Sun Moto bars, I will try them and see though.

Amazing. Great minds think alike, but I am definitely building up w/ a porkneck stem and I was even thinking of getting that red ano q/r skewer from porkchop too, but i haven't made my mind up yet....

You got an awesome start there. I wouldn't sweat the sweep of the bars too much; the geo is likely to be different from the Kos repop, so build it, try it, and swap it if you have to, right?

Who else is building a heavy duti?

hey since theres some of us that have heavy duti's and are building said heavy duti's for what seems like mainly klunking purposes would this call for a very casual friendly build off?

Dethklok said:
hey since theres some of us that have heavy duti's and are building said heavy duti's for what seems like mainly klunking purposes would this call for a very casual friendly build off?

I'm down but mine's likely to be too expensive to be competitive. :oops: just for kicks, though, I'm in.

Yea I hear ya I think my tires pushed me over hahaha so less of a build off more of a show & tell & rate gig

I'm psyched to do a show/tell/rate kind of gig. I have some other stuff from the bin itchin to go on this build; it certainly is going to be a bad little dust-up.

Thanks B808, I had an orange or white powder coat in mind before the rules came out for the build off, I really do love the scallop paint jobs on these frames stock too, figured I would just do a quick bolt together build and have fun with it. I got the pork neck when Justin had 20% off promo. The quick release for the front was just because I had the hub handy and figured it would make it easy to throw in a vehicle to haul around. Peatbog, Yoothgeye and me have been talking about a sub challenge sort of thing in the RRBBO8, I don't think we've all agreed on anything yet but klunking action shots like cman did a while back are in the plans so far. I really am digging this frame more than I should. White would look awesome in my opinion, can't wait to see how everyone's turns out :D

Unofficially Official :mrgreen:

q10kH01363906303.jpg

Hey cman since you are local to me can I just take pictures of you riding around?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Not a very good pic, but here's what i did with the one i had a bout 5 years ago , since then it sold, kinda miss it now :|

downsize2.jpg

Just got a box from Porkchop yesterday. I ordered stuff Thursday night, and it arrived Saturday morning. Standard (free!) shipping, GA to NJ. Unbelievable. Everything wrapped in mugshots. Classic. Probably my favorite (even if not the most frequent) online retailer...

So, I snapped a few shots of the stuff I got:
232323232%7Ffp543%3B2%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3649%3B375%3A534%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54363%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3649%3B375%3A934%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3C7%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3649%3B375%3A834%3Anu0mrj

Some of it came from porkchop yesterday (red porkneck, red 1" alloy seatpost, Schwinn decals, red/white dice valve caps, white KMC chain, black AME cushy grips...). Some I'd gotten more recently for this build (the frame, on-one fork, Renthals). Other stuff came from the parts bin (Salsa 28.6 seatpost clamp, red 9/16" pedals, red Profile ripsaw 42t sprocket, WTB saddle...) Not pictured but already in the mix are some red/black panaracer fire 2.1" knobbies. What I need from here is a 3pc crank/BB, a front brake, and some wheels built. Oh, and to paint that frame (thinkin' white.)

So, yeah, getting closer and closer on this one.

Weird thing is, I'm a huge porkchop fan, and that stem is AWESOME, but it was a bear to get that thing to fit on a 1.125" steer tube. Thought it might be the fork, but had the same issue with a different 1.125" threadless fork. I was able to muscle it on there, but something to be aware of if you're using the same fork. Doesn't matter though; the stem is pretty freekin' hott.

How's everyone else making out on their Heavy Duti klunk builds?

-Rob

Bicycle808 said:

So, yeah, getting closer and closer on this one.

Weird thing is, I'm a huge porkchop fan, and that stem is AWESOME, but it was a bear to get that thing to fit on a 1.125" steer tube. Thought it might be the fork, but had the same issue with a different 1.125" threadless fork. I was able to muscle it on there, but something to be aware of if you're using the same fork. Doesn't matter though; the stem is pretty freekin' hott.

How's everyone else making out on their Heavy Duti klunk builds?

-Rob

same here, I'm lucky the Landing Gear was beveled at the top, man handled it down until the compression bolt was able to grab threads, came back off without much trouble though. still got the same pile as I did before on my klunker, i did add something in the parts pile that will protect the shifter knuckle should i take a spill though.

Your parts are looking nice too, I think white would be my pick, reminds me of those drool worthy white frame / red parts redlines that pop up :D

Redline_bmx.jpg

Back