Who plays pool?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined the APA Earlier this year. I played my last match of the year tonight. I won 2-0. I feel good, my first year. Anybody else play?

Congrats!!

I belonged to a club in New Haven for a couple of years. I used to go with my college study partner instead of studying. Have a few beers play a few. It was very relaxing and we got very good. Luckily for my college career, they closed and I got back to studying. I haven't played much since.

i am on an APA 9 ball team.
The Shot Callers, downtown Atlanta, GA
i have played 3 sessions, and am a SL 4.

its a lot of fun!

where you out of EJ?

I'm out of S.E. Ct. I'm on the Pool Junkies Out of Twin Lakes. The first 2 guys up last night lost their matches. Then I swept 2-0 and the next guy won his match. We were in third place and I think were still going to the playoffs. Theres 3 tables where we play and 4 teams were playing last night. With last night being the season ender it was more like a party. And with me having the day off today, I treated it as such. Those Long Trails sure were tasty. I'm typing softly today though, I have a headache. :oops:

I'm a recreational player. Back in my single days, my coworkers and I would go to Shooters by Montclair Plaza every Wednesday night and play nine ball. They should how to play the right way (no slop, call every shot). I got to be a decent player, and could hold my own with them (they were really good). Fast forward to 5 months ago, the wife and I had been wanting a pool table for our home, and she found one on CL for $20.00! We couldn't believe it, but the pic showed an unassmbled table in a garage. It was about 15 miles from our home, so we drove out and bought it. It's a late 50s/early 60s Delta bar size table, with the push in slot for one quarter. The guy had gotten it years ago from a friend, and never put it together. He had a 6 week old baby when he decided to sell it cuz he figured with a baby, he'd never get to it. Price included a set of balls, 7 cues (2 new 1 pc and a 2 pc), wall rack, and a can of ball cleaner and felt cleaner. The table could use new felt, but with 5 kids in the house, it is not a priority. It is 1pc 1" slate, and I was so relieved that it fit flat in between the wheelwells of my Dakota. Best $20.00 we ever spent!

Growing up as a kid, we had a pool table. I got to be descent but it never really hooked me. About 20 years ago I was managing a little redneck bar that had a pool table. It was good customer relations for me to pick up a stick every once in awhile and I could hold my own against most of the regulars.

This was how I met my future mother and father inlaw. They were both top pool players in Michigan and have played in many large tournaments that have taken them to some major cities all over the U.S. My mother inlaw has partnered with Eva Montoya (spelling?) and several other top ladies. The father inlaw has also played with some of the big dogs.

Many times pool has left a bad taste in my mouth because of some of the bad elements that seem to go along with the bars/pool rooms. Arguing over who's got the table, the gambling aspect and the occassional "stick upside your head" just seems to suck the fun out of the game. So I've always laid low and picked my playing opportunities. But watching and getting to know my future inlaws allowed me to meet my wife and I now love the game of pool for giving her to me.
Shortly after we started going out, the bar decided to send a team to the 9 ball nationals in Ohio. I somehow got picked as one of the team's players to represent the bar. I really didn't want to go but everybody kept goading me until I gave in. I was given a very hard crash course in REAL playing as opposed to my sloppy, yet "flamboyant" :roll: style.
The inlaws had an 1800s slate top pool hall table that they needed to re-felt. So my first lesson was proper maintenance of the table. While helping in the re-do, I noticed that the pockets seemed small, real small! They told me that they had redone the holes to be just a little bigger than the balls. No slop makes you a better player.
After a few weeks of only playing on their table, I was ready to be unleashed onto the world and given a two piece stick that was around $300.00 as my "graduation gift". The regular tables' pockets seemed huge! :shock: and dropping the balls into them was so easy that it almost seemed pointless.I played a few bar games over the next few days and dominated pretty much everyone that threw their quarters down. I could even make the inlaws sweat a little when we played. I was ready! 8)

So we end up going down to Ohio. We won a few but pretty much got our butts handed to us! The teams who showed were amazing. If you guys ever get the chance to play or even just go and watch a national tourney, DO SO! It will leave you with a respect for the sport like you never imagined! Watching it on T.V. is nothing compared to real life!

We had a guy on our team who played ten different players and never got to shoot once! Every game, his opponents would run the table on him. Man was his butt sore from all the sitting! :lol: I was always in the game and actually won a few, but mostly I was there to take up the void that would have been a bye.

My wife is also one heckuva Pool player and she went down on the girls team. She held tight with many of her oppnents, as did the others on her team. But they too came back holding their butts in their hands.

I do think that our teams probably took the drinking trophy, if they had given one out! :mrgreen:

We still play occassionally at her brothers house on the old table, but that's about as close as we get to the "green felt field" any more.

Hope you guys get all the enjoyment out of the fun games and none of the bruises outta any bad ones!
Chainsaw

Cool topic by the way!

We don't play but we do have a table. When we first moved in to the house we just wanted something to fill the space. It's nice for when we have company as it gives them something to do.
pool.jpg

I LOVE PLAYING POOL. Im not to good, i got 2 pool sticks for my birthday. I love going to the local poolhall with my buddys, $1 dollar games = cheap fun.. and a cheap date ;) haha. I would love any tips or.. anything to help me become a better player. Pool is probably in my top 3 of fav sports.

Rickster, heres a good book to read.
P1011140.jpg

From what I understand the author, 'The Monk', is a guy who was actually studying to be a Buddhist monk. According to my friend who lent me the book, they had a table at the Monestary and apparently not much else to do between praying or meditating or whatever it is monks in training do. Anyways this book covers the mechanical fundamentals very nicely along with the mental aspects of the game. It's only 100 pages so its not too bad.
Your billiard room is beautiful AKA LocoJoe. I'm in the process of building 'Club Schwinn' in our basement now.
A friend gave me an 8' slate Brunswick table;
P1011141.jpg

Got my ceiling insulated and the suspended ceiling grid almost complete. Also put a new door in with a window to get some light in and bought a dehumidifier.
P1011143.jpg

In the spring I'm getting a shed for my other 'problem'.
:roll:
P1011142.jpg

The place looks like a war zone now but little by little it's coming along.

I play alot better on my friend Archies slate table then the one at the poolhalls. Probably cause the ones at the poolhall are shot and beat to crap but whatever. The balls roll so smooth on a slate surface then the wood or whatevers in the other ones. Thanks for showing me that book ej, ill prob come across a copy at the fleamarket this summer :lol:

Rick,
the best way to become a better pool player is to join the APA.
go to http://www.poolplayers.com and find out about the local chapter.
should be a couple teams for 8ball and 9ball in the area.
start playing regularly, learn from teammates.
you will be good before you know it.

Thanks alot blink. :D Ill have to check that out. I broke my fave stick x.x i fell on the case and cracked it. im pissed.

we are heading to the City Cup June 5-7th.
if we place in the top 4 or 8 i think we go to vegas...
wish me luck!

we played all weekend and lost by a couple points in the finals.
no vegas this year, but i still think we did a great job.

Back