WHIZZER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANY OF YOU EVER MESS WITH THESE THINGS AT ALL??? IM BUILDING A 20' FRAME UP INTO A CHOPPER AND WANT TO PUT A MOTOR ON IT..... WHATS YOUR OPINIONS??? ANY HORROR STORIES... DO THEY LAST, ANY SUGESTIONS OR RECOMENDATIONS ON WHAT PARTS TO USE, OR WHAT SUPPLIERS TO GO THROUGH???? IM GUESSING IM GOING TO HAVE TO FIND A REAL SMALL MOTOR, GIVEN THE FRAME SIZE...
9bf1_1.JPG

I've actually been savin parts to do the very same thing. I saw one already done up on CL a few weeks ago and tried to find the link to show you but I can't find it, must'a sold. Anyway, I know it can be done with the 70cc kit, anything can be done with the right mods, those kits seem pretty workable. I've seen exhaust mods done with a simple torch application, and numerous different mountings adjustments made, just gotta move stuff around. I'm going to just figure it out, we'll see how it goes.....I keep ya posted.

Hey GIMPYBMXER, I got a 50cc motor, Whizzer style, never used. Interested, PM me. :D

that would be the perfect winter project, check your state too, some states (like illinois) you dont have to license and insure a motor-driven-cycle with less than 49 cc.

"noggodnic" (kelly) has had several of them, hes suggested simpsonmotorbikes.com to me before. still havent got around ta doin a mo-ped kit yet tho, most of the kits are made with a 26" bike in mind tho, may have trouble findin a moped kit that would fit inside the frame, unless you were thinkin bout the friction type that uses a wheel on the motor makin contact on the rear tire. some rear mounts are also chain drive too tho. also i would think a 26" would have a higher speed than a 20" would but a 20" accelerate faster than a 26" would.

ive also seen a 2-stroke motor / hub inside a 26" wheel.

the big trouble areas ive heard of are fender tabs brakin from vibrations lockin up the wheel and if you run a coaster brake only and your regular bicycle chain comes off, you better hope theres somethin soft to ride into :!:

also check out this blue stingray style frame posted by larry at the very bottom on the 1st page"ebay/craigslist" thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1070&start=0

cool idea but looks like youd drag the motor on the ground if you hit a pothole er sumthin

yustin said:
I've actually been savin parts to do the very same thing. I saw one already done up on CL a few weeks ago and tried to find the link to show you but I can't find it, must'a sold. Anyway, I know it can be done with the 70cc kit, anything can be done with the right mods, those kits seem pretty workable. I've seen exhaust mods done with a simple torch application, and numerous different mountings adjustments made, just gotta move stuff around. I'm going to just figure it out, we'll see how it goes.....I keep ya posted.

id love to hear about your progress, maybe we could help each other out on this one (ill keep you posted with my progress as well)..... i think its gonna be fun hahahaha, i can picture it in my mind, but getting it to that point is another story!!

CCR said:
that would be the perfect winter project, check your state too, some states (like illinois) you dont have to license and insure a motor-driven-cycle with less than 49 cc.

"noggodnic" (kelly) has had several of them, hes suggested simpsonmotorbikes.com to me before. still havent got around ta doin a mo-ped kit yet tho, most of the kits are made with a 26" bike in mind tho, may have trouble findin a moped kit that would fit inside the frame, unless you were thinkin bout the friction type that uses a wheel on the motor makin contact on the rear tire. some rear mounts are also chain drive too tho. also i would think a 26" would have a higher speed than a 20" would but a 20" accelerate faster than a 26" would.

ive also seen a 2-stroke motor / hub inside a 26" wheel.

the big trouble areas ive heard of are fender tabs brakin from vibrations lockin up the wheel and if you run a coaster brake only and your regular bicycle chain comes off, you better hope theres somethin soft to ride into :!:

also check out this blue stingray style frame posted by larry at the very bottom on the 1st page"ebay/craigslist" thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1070&start=0

cool idea but looks like youd drag the motor on the ground if you hit a pothole er sumthin

this is all very good information!!!! especialy about the brake.... i think im gonna run a hydraluic disk up front now or something........... hmmmmmmm. yeah, and that lorider whizzer is crazy, i had been checkin that thing out for a couple of days..... cant tell for sure, but is that rear tire floating on a single sided "swing arm" !!???! crazy

the single side swing arms are typical for scooters and minibikes, i dont know were he got the motor/drivetrain from, but you can usually pick up old honda/yamaha scooters like sprees & elites for cheap and get them runnin again, good donor bikes IMO for domethin like that. just unbolt the shock and motor mount bolt goin to the front frame and transfer. as long as its an air cooled motor there shouldnt be too much work involved.

two-strokes typically make more power than 4 strokes do.

I don't know a lot about Whizzer motors on a 20" bike, but I HAVE built two E-bikes..... both of which will easily make 40 mph on flat ground.

I used the 48v "Phoenix Racer" hub motors, one on a 26" wheel bike and the other on a 20" original Stingray. The installation is simple: You take off the front wheel and replace it with the hub motor wheel, put the battery pack on the frame, and hook up a few wires..... and away you go. And it does GO fast! So fast in fact that they'll get away from you if you let them.

The one thing you need to be aware of with these motors is to not use a bike with an alunimum front fork. On my first bike, I tore the fork apart in an attempt to see how fast it will accellerate!

(They are not cheap, though)

VanguardVTwin_LV_M54_185px.jpg

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V Twin Engine
V-Twin 90 Degrees Overhead Valve Design Superior balance and low vibration saves wear and tear on components and equipment.
Dispacement 895cc (54 cubic inch) or 993 (60 cubic inch) Robust air-cooled power. :mrgreen:

Upper Class White Trash said:
VanguardVTwin_LV_M54_185px.jpg

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V Twin Engine
V-Twin 90 Degrees Overhead Valve Design Superior balance and low vibration saves wear and tear on components and equipment.
Dispacement 895cc (54 cubic inch) or 993 (60 cubic inch) Robust air-cooled power. :mrgreen:

YEAH!!!!!!! now were talking......... that thing almost has more cc's than my volkswagen!!!!! hahahaha, id be gettin to work in NO TIME!!!

some cat at my work has the big one in his cushman. laughed my donkey off untill he cracked it open dumped the clutch. top speed wasn't anything too crasy. it had a 2 gears but still only top out at 6o something. but it was a quick and strong.

oh yeah more waaaaay more retail like 1300.00 us <<< sorry edit $2,229.00 1300.00 is the 16hp one :cry:

GIMPYBMXER said:
JoeyMac said:
GIMPYBMXER said:

I think I know this very same NOS frame and the guy who was selling it, did you buy it in Rochester, NY?

hahahaha, it sure is the very same frame........ so tell me a little bit about it. what do you know?!!

I just know the guy who had it for sale, real cool older guy who used to own a bike shop like 25 years ago, has a shed full of sweet bikes and NOS parts. My buddy and I have made a few trips out there already in our bike-refurbishing adventures and gotten some sweet deals on parts. He had this frame as well as a complete Stingray re-issue that was brand new. But I guess he's sold them both by now.

Upper Class White Trash said:
... top speed wasn't anything too crasy. it had a 2 gears but still only top out at 6o something....

those cushmans is what i see em in too (the 16hp one), 60mph on 10" wheels = scary :shock: :lol:

and yeah that pic of the frame is very familiar like id seen it on the bay before

I think I know this very same NOS frame and the guy who was selling it, did you buy it in Rochester, NY?[/quote]

hahahaha, it sure is the very same frame........ so tell me a little bit about it. what do you know?!![/quote]

I just know the guy who had it for sale, real cool older guy who used to own a bike shop like 25 years ago, has a shed full of sweet bikes and NOS parts. My buddy and I have made a few trips out there already in our bike-refurbishing adventures and gotten some sweet deals on parts. He had this frame as well as a complete Stingray re-issue that was brand new. But I guess he's sold them both by now.[/quote]

hahahaha, man, i FINALY got this thing in the mail yesterday, and boy oh boy, its a BIT SMALLER than i had thought....... i sure hope the motor im getting fits!!!!! i could always MAKE it fit, but id prefer not to hack up the frame!

Latest posts

Back