which forks will work

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, i concider myself a bike nut. although im more into the looks than the greasy side of it.. i collect bikes and have just recently started trying to tear them apart and change things around.. i have done a few restorations using the parts that were for the bike originally. now im starting to want to experiment a bit..this may seem like a dumb question for you more experienced wrenchers but. i have an early twenties truss frame 28 inch wood wheel with drop stand bike. im not sure of the make since the headbadge was gone but it was complete. i have since tore it down and the frame is gloss black.clean and straight as an arrow. i have looked through pics here and i have decided i want to try a board track style bike..now to the question(man i talk to much)...i want to put a springer of some sort on it but how do i know what size will work? what do i measure?or do they all work?

A good start is to measure the outside diameter (OD) of the original fork steertube and its length. I imagine you found 'loose' ball bearings in the head, top and bottom (I like to put those into segregated and labeled groups; old prescription bottles work good for me). You will want to clean up and inspect carefully the bearing races in the headtube and those that go on the fork steertube (the bottom one is probably a press fit)
These need to fit as well around a new fork steertube as they do on the original. This can be sometimes be done with shims or even machining spacers. The idea is that with the headtube races and the steertube races right, they capture the ball bearings of the proper dia. between them (BTW, dont 'trust' that the ball bearings you took out are the right count or the right dia., you will need to check that out).
The new fork steertube needs to be long enough to take the bearings, bearing caps/washers/nuts, etc. (the 'stack height') and have it all fit without running out of threads.
I like to make a sketch, take measurements, and sit and ponder a bit in idle moments to make sure Im getting it.

Back