Where to get good tubes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get GOOD tubes for bike tires, and what is a good name brand?

I use kenda tubes, or whatevers cheapest. I'm not sure what you mean by good tubes though. I've never had any issues with them regardless of brand. I guess it's possible to get one with a valve that doesn't like to seal but that's about it.

Pay a little extra, get downhill tubes for about 15 bucks each. I work at a pedicab garage and that's what we use one the bikes. Downhill tubes, a couple squirts of this green "Slime" stuff into the tubes and then a Mr Tuffy strip. Do this and the only thing that will give you a flat will be riding over a screw, otherwise pretty bomb proof.

Well, the only place local is that big store with the blue front. I have bought several tubes from them and none will hold air more than a week. Haven't tried the slime, didn't know if it was any good or not. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've tried the Walmart crap and they're ... well .. CRAP! Leaky valve stems, little holes, even dryrot.
After much anger, I went to my local bike dealer and asked for Heavy Duty Mountainbike tubes. He brought out a set and I was expecting to pay double the price of what Walmart charges. But to my surprise, they were actually a few pennies less! :shock: I'm hook on them! They're really thick almost like a car tube. I weigh about 280 and they don't even wimper when they feel my weight. I've bought several sets and they all have different names but I believe that they all are Kenda made. Around here they run between $7.00 and $9.00 dollars each. The Walmart crap is usually $7.00 to $7.50 and you aint never gonna find a heavy duty tube at their store!
This is the best investment you can make for your bike if you plan on riding it!
Chainsaw

memory lane sells good tubes. i think they are pyramids, have had good luck with them. they are pretty heavy for a standard tube. they also sell thorn proof tubes that are about 8 bucks, they are like a freakin' motorcycle tube. run them in my whizzer.

yup, i bought a WallMart tube.......
paid for it----- walked out the door--- took it out of the box--- threw away the box/rubberband/valve cap/bag/AND RECIEPT :roll:
got it home, and it had a hole in it at the seam :x
now i pull them out of the box, grab a pump and put air in them BEFORE i pay for it
cashier looks at me funny when i pay for an empty box and have an inflated tube around my neck :lol:

if you can get a fresh heavy duty tube, there's no equal

Back