Where Is The Whimsy?!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Zombie

~:Undead Forever:~
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've come back now after a year. People posting Every Day. So many posts and bikes and sales and Facebook group posts you never feel you'll catch up.

I feel like I'm through everything in an hour from the day before and take the rest to catch up on how this slow era has swept over our hobby again.

I love this hobby, but aside from you great folks here [and a Fraction of you remain from a tear or more ago] it feels like the hobby hit another remission.

Things are slower, quieter.. it's kind of a drag. What happened?!

-R.

Couple of points to consider and this is just me thinking out loud

• Aging demographic
    • Not shading anyone just stating the fact that this forum (and many forums in general) have an aging demographic that may or may not be as tech savvy or tied to the internet at all times
      • i.e they check in periodically, don't suffer from FOMO, less likely to document every waking moment
        • Someone from 10 years ago that was freshly retired and found a great hobby and community in us would now be in their mid 70's
          • Not being ageist, just sprinkling out some thoughts (we have plenty of 70+ members!!!)
          • CLICK THIS THREAD
  • Facebook - can't really comment as I do not have FB
    • How active is the RRB Facebook page since they change of ownership?
      • Anyone?
    • Unfortunately FB is actually the driving force behind the demise of many forums. People migrated to the FB groups and there was a lot of trickle down that detracted from forum interaction
  • New ownership
    • I do not have hard data to support but my gut tells me some people stopped checking in when Rat Rod stepped down
      • There was a personal investment from his side and people felt a kinship
        • Again, I do not have data to support but have seen it in other forum ownership changes and it sucks. Sometimes a fair shake isn't given

What can we do differently? Let's get this party goin!

I don't know about the RRB Facebook group, but there are plenty of other custom bike groups on FB to get involved with, and draw one's attention away from here. My FB time is focused more on rides/event awareness than the actual groups, for the most part.

As far as age goes, I think most of the young blood that rides are into wheelie bikes, fixies or MTB/jump bikes at this point. The custom chop/cruiser crowd definitely skews 30+ in my experience.

Let's get this party goin!
Agreed! I browse FB for ideas, pics and classifieds but I don't like FB in general. Not even a little. And this forum rocks! By far my fave. I have only been on this forum a few years and only recently started doing build-off bikes so I can't really speak to the good old days.

Age- It doesn’t seem like kids ( boys or girls) are into tools and fixing things like they used to be, we were constantly changing and upgrading our bikes, swapping parts and doing maintenance.. honestly, cannot remember the last time I saw a kid working on a bike and I rarely see anyone under 30 even riding a bicycle.

FB- I quit that platform around 2008, so I have no idea about what goes on there.

New owner- i think that was before my time here, or, I never noticed.

It has always been very pleasant here, the ingenuity and creativity of the members is mind blowing…turning literal junk into working art… it’s amazing and humbling to witness.

The only change I’d like to see is a “preview post” button to check my spelling, etc.. before posting

The only change I’d like to see is a “preview post” button to check my spelling, etc.. before posting
tempsnip.jpg

I don't do FB for a few years now. Still have an account, just got tired of all the anger, stress and BS that it sent my way, all in the name of keeping in touch with people. I don't think its worth my mental health even to log onto marketplace and deal with the notification BS at this point.

I do go in acivity cycles here on RRB frequently. I try to be on at least daily, but in the spring or when there is a lot of yard work, or a project I am doing at the house I fall away for a bit. This is one of the forums I just enjoy the people and seeing cool things done that I can probably do or try to do as well. Not a lot of angst to deal with either. Huge kudos to the members here. Thank You.

I'm a member of some mopar forums that there isn't the same feel as RRB . Non political, but still get jerks saying hateful stuff, calling people out and others who admonish you for stating facts they won't believe. In person they would just keep their mouths shut or be called out for it. So I keep my comments low and just glean what I need for whatever problem i am solving.

The bike hobby downtown is going strong. Lots of cool customs that I see every time I go out. And cool people that rude them.

I agree with CA's observations, and I predicted when I joined (a little late to the show in 2008) that the rat rod fad both for cars, motorcycles and bicycles would be just that, a fad. It was hugely popular in the mid 2000s. You could put rat rod in the description of anything for sale on eBay and get very good money for it. That ship has sailed. It's nice that a few lifeys are still plugging along here on RRB.

I agree with CA's observations, and I predicted when I joined (a little late to the show in 2008) that the rat rod fad both for cars, motorcycles and bicycles would be just that, a fad. It was hugely popular in the mid 2000s. You could put rat rod in the description of anything for sale on eBay and get very good money for it. That ship has sailed. It's nice that a few lifeys are still plugging along here on RRB.
Looking back on those years it’s easy to see why Steve had such a vision and push to be all inclusive and hopefully get some younger ones to join up. Carry the torch so to speak

I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way 😂

I just like custom stuff regardless of genre. Plus this place is drama free

@Captain Awesome

With time spent here as one of the you ger generation, I don't dispute the majority of those I work with, work around and share a set of wheels beside for rides are much older than my current standing. My two pals down the street are a month apart at 57. The wife of one at 47 and relatable but still a distance of presence in those years of development further.

We don't live forever, certainly and I've had the great misfortune of being someone looking in when two or three of our most familiar faces here have found rest the last sum of years,.but there are still some Amazing talents here, and above that, still eager and awaiting eyes for the next idea, lesson, method of approach.

Guys like Palmer and TRM,. Bri-In-RI and so on. You guys inspired me here. Not just in your unique styles, values in the hobby of your own share of what it means to you but the way you teach. The way you educate. The way you hold patience with someone fresh off the tarmac, learning to rudder their discussions and builds., you're still here and I'm so ultimately grateful to have the familiarity. The comradere of a common ground and recognizable work.
Surely we all too, will one day be moved on from the grounds we ride now but there is a lot said for timing as well. Seasonal members. Availability.. it just seemed like the last decade was so strong and the last few years, everyone sort of hit it hard after Covid and all.. less folks around everywhere.

I have a Facebook page and one for just the hobby I ran for a handful of years before leaving a friend and mutual here [Tomcat Peterson] in charge to do the best he could with a one man show while my own mental health declined. It slipped away with 2k members last year, year before and I've been trying to revitalize it lately with a lot of crickets and empty room. Members still present, even onlooking from the post reach count, I see but it's like the passion just escaped like a blown out tube from folks. There's only a handful of posts even in some of the most popular pages a day, to the tidal wave of new members, posts, sales and how to from so recently.

I never fully pulled away, as most things we come to love and the steady decline is heartwrenching.
I know hobbies, especially generational ones like vintage bikes really has hit or miss eras. Older folks are getting even older and staying tight knit with their circles,. New folks are less common and fewer between.. in another couple years it'll jolt again but these dead zones are notable. Visible and loud in their deafening silences.
Especially here. I feel like we have 20 routine active members and maybe five a week trickling around anew. Surely a part of it is needing the support this page is asking for routinely. We need the sponsorship and people talking about it again. Word of mouth goes a long way in most industries if it's folks others respect leading it in.

I do attribute Facebook to be the downfall of the traditional web page as well, and in that, I'm hurt this is one suffering like our favorite Mom and Pop shops overrun by a Walmart conglomerate.
I wish in ways I didn't need Facebook to partake but a great majority of business and tips are more fluently posted there in their OBC [don't get me started on how that's run...] and what seems like a MUCH quieter RRB Fb page.

I would agree, when Rod stepped down, that's when things here seemed to almost go silent from an already difficult standstill a lot of the time. I don't blame Rod for it, it's hard to run something you saw flourish and grow into this Massive pot of wealth in knowledge and good friends to an almost dead page. I left my spot on FB in my group much for the same. It was hard to see the decline and I was already on a decline of my own.
I have means to be a lifetime member here when the scratch comes together enough to afford it in that one big kick payment but I don't want to see our best pages die out to white pages again.. I know not another way at this time other than namedropping the page in more public spaces to bring a little blood flow back in.
=========================

@gowjobs

I agree. It's harder to find new blood into older steel now. Being near thirty three, I didn't think what I was into would come about to be so much more Niche for my age group and younger than it is. There's just so much cool in this.. but before I inspire the prices to drive back up.. I guess there is the added benefit less are into what we like 😉😉

@Pondo

I absolutely agree. Its good to have the ties and connection of Facebook but as far as a Group or Family of riders and enthusiasts go,. RRB is home.
I always said the Cabe was where you went to be sure your part was right, RRB is where you go to make sure it's fun, even if it's not right. I can't say more on the subject than that.

@Kevin B

That's really only a part of it. A VAST majority never even took part or routinely in the build offs,.I entered once? I think? Since 2014 and I didn't finish. I feel that's a good judge of who's here in the DEPTH of the hobby, committing to it in a Build Off is about as deep as it gets. I think there's a great deal to be said for the random lurker who has a thousand questions and just disappears to turn up two weeks later with a masterpiece they learned here how they wanted to build of their own free time. No Constraits.
I definitely agree a lot of our builders, however, are seasonal fellas looking for some zest between life's hiccups., but comparing how many do the build offs to current members still runs us down into maybe 20 regular members? 30?

========================

@metalchewy

You're another of the names I couldn't forget here,. Not a constant poster but routine in your own lights.
There is a lot of drama and nonsense going into Facebook at all. Absolutely. Especially sale posts and some even from those outside the hobby doing a regular bike sale. I asked a guy who had One picture in his sale for a few additional, he jumped at me hard with "For WHAT?!?! ITS A BIKE!" To which I exclaimed I thought it was a Lawnmower, thanks for the time.
Getting to be more and more common there with vendors and singled sellers alike. They all want something and none have the means to work for it or be kind with it.. it's a lot of headache, especially on the feeding frenzy of public posting of sales. Sometimes that helps, most of the time it hurts. The marketplace I find useful where most around here don't do the leg work and miles to get the fresh finds. They wait until someone else does then pay the uptick price having it so accessible in the city and already around five friends. I do a search for an hour or more distance and almost always score from some tiny town and a very quaint fella with no heavy knowledge but the twinkle is there to talk about it.

Huge Kudos for being one of the members you enjoy seeing here. We value you, and I knowingly don't say that alone.

Flying Zombie

Age- It doesn’t seem like kids ( boys or girls) are into tools and fixing things like they used to be, we were constantly changing and upgrading our bikes, swapping parts and doing maintenance.. honestly, cannot remember the last time I saw a kid working on a bike and I rarely see anyone under 30 even riding a bicycle.

FB- I quit that platform around 2008, so I have no idea about what goes on there.

New owner- i think that was before my time here, or, I never noticed.

It has always been very pleasant here, the ingenuity and creativity of the members is mind blowing…turning literal junk into working art… it’s amazing and humbling to witness.

Missed this reply, thank you for it, by the way!
I have to unhelpably agree we are in a disposable society where replacing over fixing is the norm. I feel in large, that's why I got into this. A whimsy you didn't have to replace. Just weigh in on occasionally sith an adjustment and a replacement chain.. replacement tires if you're with the Cheater Slick crowd.
I have no rebuttal on this. No disagreement. Just the Big Sad in truth.

For me it's part nostalgia, I grew up seeing and owned a few muscle bikes. Me and my group of friends did that then transitioned into BMX bikes. We were constantly fixing, upgrading our bikes. Swapping parts among each other. I grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota so the winter months were a drag. Couldn't wait for the last of the snow to melt so Mom would let me get the bike out of the basement. (No way I could track mud in the house). We all of us built custom bikes. As I got older I rode less and less. Got married worked long hours. Got bikes for the kids, taught them to ride, made repairs when necessary. Now the kids are grown and off being adults. 5 years ago, my health was not good. Im 6' talk and I was 328lbs, taking pills for high blood pressure. And I thought bake to when I was healthiest and it was when I rode a bike everywhere everyday I could. I bought a bike and within 5 months I no longer needed the high blood pressure medicine. Within 2 years I lost 135lbs and have kept it off. I live in Iowa now but for the last 4 years I ride year round rain, snow or sunshine. I've inspired a few folks from town to dust off their bikes and ride. And the kids I build bikes for unless they are very young, have to "help" me fix them so they learn a bit about the bike but mostly so they feel a connection with it and hopefully a bit of pride. I enjoy this group and the cabe. I bailed on Facebook about 3 years ago when I stopped buying and selling vintage Hot Wheels there. It got to be too time consuming. (Still have over 5000 Hit wheels). I'm very happy to have found this group. I'm learning more then I thought I would. Thanks to the awesome members I've delt with.

For me it's part nostalgia, I grew up seeing and owned a few muscle bikes. Me and my group of friends did that then transitioned into BMX bikes. We were constantly fixing, upgrading our bikes. Swapping parts among each other. I grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota so the winter months were a drag. Couldn't wait for the last of the snow to melt so Mom would let me get the bike out of the basement. (No way I could track mud in the house). We all of us built custom bikes. As I got older I rode less and less. Got married worked long hours. Got bikes for the kids, taught them to ride, made repairs when necessary. Now the kids are grown and off being adults. 5 years ago, my health was not good. Im 6' talk and I was 328lbs, taking pills for high blood pressure. And I thought bake to when I was healthiest and it was when I rode a bike everywhere everyday I could. I bought a bike and within 5 months I no longer needed the high blood pressure medicine. Within 2 years I lost 135lbs and have kept it off. I live in Iowa now but for the last 4 years I ride year round rain, snow or sunshine. I've inspired a few folks from town to dust off their bikes and ride. And the kids I build bikes for unless they are very young, have to "help" me fix them so they learn a bit about the bike but mostly so they feel a connection with it and hopefully a bit of pride. I enjoy this group and the cabe. I bailed on Facebook about 3 years ago when I stopped buying and selling vintage Hot Wheels there. It got to be too time consuming. (Still have over 5000 Hit wheels). I'm very happy to have found this group. I'm learning more then I thought I would. Thanks to the awesome members I've delt with.
Congrats getting off those blood pressure pills👍👍

I’ve only been into this hobby for a few years. All I can say is, this place is magically drama free. I ditched Facebook years ago. People tell me I should sell my bikes on FB marketplace. Not worth it. All the cool people are on RRB and Craigslist. I do have instagram, but am seriously considering deleting it. It’s designed to waste your time. I deleted twitter a few years back too.

I can’t compare this site to what is was years ago, but I assure you, it is still great.

Thanks to all that work behind the scenes.

Latest posts

Back