WHERE DO I GET A GOOD BICYCLE TOOL KIT???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
howdy im looking for a place to get a good bicycle tool set with everything i need to work on a bike does anbody know of a place :?:

Park tool makes everything and anything you would need to work on a bicycle. Bike Nashbar (online) sells Park and their own brand. The Nashbar brand tools are cheaper to buy and I have had good luck with them. It all depends on your budget. http://www.nashbar.com/subcategories.cf ... ory=600099

Really all you need is a big pair of vice grips. a large and small crecent wrench and a big hammer and that will handle 99% of the repairs on a bike :lol:

I agree with Uncle Stretch if you are just going to work on old cruisers.

Bike specific tools that are nice to have.l

- High quality chain breaker/tool. My fav. Park CT-5
- Cone wrenches for getting hubs apart.
- Pedal wrench or a open ended wrench ground thin.

One tool I use too often is a pipe wrench :shock: Sometimes they can get a great bite on some imobile parts but I should just buy a bigger crecent or locking pliers.

what i recomend for starting out

chain tool - park ct-5 is great !!!
flat and phillips screw drivers
13mm and 15 mm cone wrench
large and small adjustable wrench
a hammer or mallet
vise grips
tire levers also help ( .99 at wal-mart, theyre worth it)
a good pair of cable cutters made for steel cable if you work with shifter and brake cables

schwinnmesa said:
Don't forget Water Displacement - 40th Attempt. :lol:
i dont get it what are you talking about :?:

WD-40, meant as a joke I'm sure.There is an E-pay seller called Build a bike or Build ur bike, something like that. Anyway he had the best prices I had seen on many Park tools. Bought a set of cone wrenches from him a chain breaker a "Schwinn" kickstand tool etc. It is worth checking out.If you work on caliper brakes a lot, there is a "plier" type tool that pulls the cable taught and holds it there so you can make your adjustments and tighten everything down. Pretty nice tool to have, much easier than the "third hand" types. :wink:

I have read some bike shop owner's comments about how many thousands of dollars they had invested in bicycle tools. I think the key is that it's not too hard to get tools for your bike, but to get tools to work on any bike whatever is evidently a challenge.

For my Worksman cruiser, I've got:
1/2" and 9/16" box end wrench (fits axle nuts, seat post bolt, and handlebar bolts)
Second 1/2 combination wrench (for the other axle nut)
10 mm combination wrenches (fit chain tensioner)
8 or 9 mm combination wrench (fits coaster brake nut)
Phillips screwdriver (fits coaster brake screw)
Small channellock-type pliers, just in case
Plastic tire tools, which I don't normally use

I'm not positive on the sizes, but that's generally what I carry with me in my trunk bag. I've also got cone wrenches, but don't carry them with me because I don't anticipate overhauling a coaster brake on the road. For work here at the house, I've got regular socket sets, Crescent wrenches, etc.

Back