Where do I find a HUGE chainring

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed my chance to buy the most recent one I came accross on-line.
I can't find one anywhere.
I was thinking of taking one off of an old excercize bike if I can find one, but is there anywhere I can buy one
- looking for like 65t like in the photo.
bigsprocket.jpg

As far as I know, these were only found on old Schwinn exercise bikes as you say. I haven't seen any in other places yet.

yeah,
I think your right, I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to get stuck with an excercise bike frame lying around until I get rid of it. I don't do much frame building from scratch, so it would probably just sit. and I've got so many build leftovers lying around as it is.

I am looking into manufacturing some. So far I have not considered making them for one piece cranks, but why not?

Smokenshadow;

First I am working on producing hubs, the second project is three piece cranks (3 bolt style in steel), the third is large chainrings, likely for 5 bolt cranks. There are other 5 bolt large chainrings out there but mine will have a more unique-vintage look and be available in 1/8 chain-thick rim vintage track racing style as well as 3/32 road style. Chainrings will be aluminum only.

My own bike uses a TA 3 bolt 56 tooth ring on a 3 bolt to one piece crank adapter. This chainring setup has been following me through many bikes for 30 years.

not that 56t is not big enough, but do you build larger ones? I was looking for abnormally large -comparible to the excercise bike size (perhaps a bit smaller since the excercise bike ones almost always seem to hit the frame requiring modification)

the five bolt chainring would be even better I suppose, I want to pair it with a nexus internally geared hub in the rear so that I can work my way into the highest gears, but still be able to pedal up the hill to my house. I think they make some big ones that are 4spd and up, there pretty fat too -definately makes you look twice.
The hills by my place are pretty gentle, but I'd be dead in the water trying to pedal a 18/65 ratio up some of these hills. I thought it would also be fun to blow the minds of some of these fixie kids around here by being able to keep up with 'em at top speed on my full size cruiser. lol.

If I do the large chainring project it will be up to 60t. Even at that size you will run into clearance problems with the chainstays. Fortunately years ago I made a dimpling tool that has been used many hundreds of times for such problems.

I was planning on mounting it to a 50 panther, and it looks like I'm gonna have plenty of room, but I really wont know until I get it on there I guess. If I do have to do any dimpling it will likely be minimal. I just missed another one this morning. The ad was put on craigslist last night, and it's already gone. People are jumping on these things!

Back