where can I get this re-threaded (pic)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this truss rod that needs to be re-threaded. What kind of a place should I take it too to get re-threaded?

2qx3nyu.jpg

how hard is it to do? for some reason Threads have always scared me. Ive always tried not to damage them at all. I got 2 quotes today from machine shops and one was $20 and one was $25. they both said thats their min order charge. I guess if the threads are already messed up I cant mess them up any more then they already are.

That's what I was concerned about, I was guessing that although it's essentially a $5 job you probably wouldn't get out the door of any machine shop for under twenty.
I got a pretty comprehensive set of taps and dies at Lowes last year for +/- $30. They have both metric and standard sets and in just the last year I've found many, many uses for it.

might be better off just cuttin off the mucked up part ..looks kinda bent on the end ....may just b the pic ...threadin is kinda easy ...just get it started strait and u should b fine ...oh yeah make she u have the right die ...just sayin !!

it is a little bent too. I cant cut it off. Its the top part of a roadmaster shock fork. its the top truss rod part. Worst case sanario I totally mess it up and need to find a new one or make one.

All you need is a 3 cornered file. Start above the bad area and follow the threads with the file. You could also fix it by grinding the end on a wheel. Grind the end where the bad threads are. Grind it at an angle like you are sharpening a pencil but don't go that far. Grind in the direction away from the good threads and go toward the end, grinding away the bad threads. Or, send it to me and I'll fix it for you! :wink: Gary

Do what the other Gary said or just get the HF set for 12 bucks its real easy and your set for other stuff that you will run into
Gary

If you're trying to retain the original hardware size, I would go with the triangular file and a nut. A die might well follow the messed up part, and crossthread. If it was mine, I'd probably file all the threads off and make it the next smaller size.

Using a die to cut that is as easy as threading a nut on.

I'm sure youtube and google can provide all the info you need to do the job properly. A thread file would also work if you know the pitch.

Buy a tap and die set, use it properly and it will last you forever and save you many, many times.

Skills did you buy that tap/die set yet?.......... :lol:

personally, I would start with B607's advice and get the threads cleaned up enough that you can get the regular nut started at least about half way. Then I'd chase the threads with a die all the way down.

Cheap tap and die sets like Harbor Frieght sells are usually all you need for bicycle work. You need to get both metric and US sets. Most bikes have both metric and US fasteners used on the same bike. In the future, if any threaded part is boogered up, or loaded with dirt and rust, chasing the threads makes life a whole lot easier.

They do last forever. I have the US set that my daddy got when he was a young man, and I'm not a young man now.

These are rolled threads not cut, much of the thread material is gone. Chasing them with a die will not improve them much. They may need to be either cut off and a new threaded section welded on or filled with brass and re-threaded.

Back