wheel building - Whats your way to measure ERD of a rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Guys

Im just curious what your way is to measure the nipple seat diameter (ERD) of a rim to figure out your spoke length? I usually try to get as close of a measurement with a tape measure but while the rim is still laced up to a hub it can be tough and not super accurate, whats your way?

Ty

i have heard to use two spokes and nipples and then add them together with the space in the middle, but if i cant find the ERD online I just measure across the inside and add what I think the rim depth is .

Crassly's idea is good. Never thought of that one. Another easy way is to run a piece of string accross two spoke holes that are opposite each other. Mark the string where they go through the rim seat and then remove and measure.

Or, if you want a real quick and dirty answer to your spoke needs, look here:

http://www.bikewebsite.com/spokes.htm

That is a good idea, I thought about using the string to run from one edge across to the other but at that point with the wheel still build with a hub in it a tape measure is basically the same. With that calculator you plug the measurement into the circumference your ERD answer is the diameter correct?

With the calulator I provided the link to, you enter the circumference and click on "solve others" and it will provide the diameter and area of the wheel. Or if you happen to know the diameter and are wondering what the circumference is, you can enter the known value and it will calculate the other two.

Back