Whats your job?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my bread and butter job is collision repair. but i got taken on at another shop around the corner from us doing restorations again(would just leave the collision job but rudys closing next year after we finish the last 4 cars he has in). now you all know why i havent been killing all your threads recently :p

TheFlyingDingo said:
Puzzle factory...Was that interesting?
Not really, I was a forklift operator. Had a close call once when a trucker pulled out before I was out and my forklift fell about 5 feet. I bailed and got out of harm's way luckily.

Hhmmm...19 years as a public school teacher. 7th grade Texas History and 8th grade US History. Never going to be rich, often frustrated, long hours, great summer hours, love my students, never cease to be amazed by them(both good and bad). Still have at least 10 more years before I can retire. No hurry. :wink:

I work for a commercial HVAC contractor in So Cal. Been there 12 years, started at the bottom as a warehouseman/driver, and I've worked my way up to purchasing/warehouse/fleet supervisor. We had 3 offices, all in So Cal, when I started, and now we have 7 in 3 states. Never thought I'd be doing what I'm doing today, but it's a great company, family owned, and growing, though rather slowly right now. I like to say I spend someone else's money all day long, and get paid to do it. 8)

aka_locojoe said:
I've worked for the same communications company for over 30 years. I climb poles. Fallen off a few. Crawl under houses and up in attics. Work in residences, businesses, factories, you name it. Nicest homes to the filthiest rat & roach infested homes. Work outside in -10 degree weather to +110. In rain sleet and snow. Had my life threatened a few times. Failed to save a life once. Sex, drugs, crime, violence, domestic violence, disasters, I've experienced or witnessed it all through my job. Several dog bites. Tons of wasp stings. Done work for President Clinton, Vice President Cheney, Russian President Boris Yeltzen and a few celebrities.
All in all I like the work I do and have had a lot of great, bizarre and exciting experiences through my work.

Video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88UAsxuVrY4

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

white_house_certificate.jpg

junk_house.jpg

Cool.............a Wichita Lineman :wink:

I was a machinist in the machine shop of a small factory that made valves. I ran one of these screw machines (autolathe) for a long time. Shortened a couple of fingers along the way too. :oops:
BS2.jpg

Now I'm retired and luvin' it. Play with my bikes, do woodwork, hunt arrowheads and hunt deer with my bow. My only job now, besides mowing and taking care of our house, is helping out my farmer neighbors. Spring and fall I occasionally get to drive a little when they get behind. Gary
DSC03701.jpg

I was a Union carpenter for 20 years until I hurt my back really bad. I also built custom motorcycles on the side for a few years. Now I am retired on disability and play with bikes of my own and for charity (Bikes for the Homeless & my own give-aways for kids). I also volunteer at a Humane Society dog shelter walking, feeding and playing with dogs. I am much happier now because I am doing something for those who can't.

I'm a mechanical-electrical draftsman/designer. It's been a very satisfying career. I have never dreaded going to work one day. I assist engineers in layouts and design of products, tooling and production floor equipment. Sometimes I get to do technical illustration drawings for handouts, fliers and websites. I've even done a few logos.

the money isn't spectacular, but it's enough to afford a house and toys (multiple bicycles, cars, motorcycles etc) and some travel. I could not have picked a better career.

For one year's education, I don't think it can be beat. And I have a nice cubical area to work in. It's a pretty cushy job, if that's your style.

Insurance Claims - If you dont mind angry people, getting lied to, threatened, blamed and cursed at ... it's alright :mrgreen:

Well, I have a degree in History from the University of Washington, a Masters in Theology from Fuller Theological Seminary, and I've worked for a company that makes Oceanographic Instrumentation for nearly 20 years. Currently, I'm the production control manager, but started as the shipping clerk / crate builder after getting my undergrad degree and have held many positions over the years. I really wish I would have started doing something I liked to do when I was young. Ministry is an option. I've done several stints as a youth / music / young adults minister on a volunteer basis over the years. I threaten to start a church from time to time. I think about opening a different kind of bike shop occasionally, but need a decent income at the moment, and don't have the capacity for risk-taking that would probably be necessary. I just try and get through the day so I can get home and do what I like to do.

Oh, I also play the guitar, bass, and sing. I'd love to be in a band again. Not sure that would be a career either. Maybe if I had started when I was young, I'd be a rock star by now. :lol:

If I was in a bigger city, I would probably be doing better selling bikes , but right now I am trying to get creative as far as paying the bills. I have been layed off due to mismanagement of funds on the bill paying department, the former board of directors is trying to get it straightened out. But I am done dealing with incompetence as far as being my employer. I worked six years as a warehouse manager for a food bank in a rural vacation area in northern California, I enjoyed being on the road and always having space for bikes in the work truck, the pay wasn't great but the perks such as free food,cell phone being payed for, lots of vacation & sick time, and the best part was being able to help people and being payed to do so, heres my old work truck that I got to pick out and fly to southern Cal to pick up and drive back.
updatesally.jpg

rodatrip011.jpg

And this was some of the scenery I had to deal with driving around
rodatrip004.jpg

But the Lords got my back !!!

I buy junk and sell antiques , travel northern California doin swapmeets for 6 months out of the year from fall to spring from my 10 acre olive orchard, then for the summer months i work for the Ca. state parks doin maintenance at Lake Tahoe, love my job love my life,also have been a cable t.v. installer,forklift operator,machine operator,worked 5 years graveyard shift for a major printing corperation as a prepress tech.,i've also framed houses,drywall hanger and taper,worked in a body and paint shop, Jack of all trades master of just a few !

i didnt think there where so many jobs out there :shock: :oops:
driving round the country sounds fun but dont thing the mother/ girlfriend would agree :mrgreen:

jack of all trades indeed! :wink:

CCR said:
Insurance Claims - If you dont mind angry people, getting lied to, threatened, blamed and cursed at ... it's alright :mrgreen:

High School Shop Teacher - If you dont mind angry people, getting lied to, threatened, blamed and cursed at ... it's alright :wink:

Nah, it's pretty good really. In the words of the late great John Denver.........Some days are diamonds, some days are stone.

CCR said:
Insurance Claims - If you don't mind angry people, getting lied to, threatened, blamed and cursed at ... it's alright :mrgreen:
That sounds like emptying pot-a-potties, you're just gonna catch crap all day long.... :lol: I'd rather empty pot-a-johns. :mrgreen:

Currently I specialize in drainage and soil retention work, (walls, grading, dry creeks, etc. :wink: ), building, vehicle, and equipment maintenance and repair, with occasional fill-in for deliveries, plantings, or brick jobs here- http://www.cravensnursery.com/hnl.html I can use relief maps and a transit, but we're more of a tape and string level, "eyeball it" type operation. :mrgreen:

I'm a self employed Heating Contractor, I have always dabbled in Antique auto parts, Porcelain signs, Antique Gas Pumps,Toys, Bicycles. as Hobbies, They all allowed me to do the extra fun stuff.

Latest posts

Back