Whats this prewar?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
70f3fd197a944479152faefb8deb2146.jpg

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
Found this on Letgo for 25.00. Was wondering if I could replace the crank/sprocket to a regular chain and replace back wheel to get riding and do away with that skip tooth mess.

I may not buy it because the seller has a very poor review and is like pulling teeth to get a reply. I will not chase after a seller who is evasive and non responsive.

Last edited:
70f3fd197a944479152faefb8deb2146.jpg

Found this on Letgo for 25.00. Was wondering if I could replace the crank/sprocket to a regular chain and replace back wheel to get riding and do away with that skip tooth mess.

I may not buy it because the seller has a very poor review and is like pulling teeth to get a reply. I will not chase after a seller who is evasive and non responsive.
Looks Westfield built, seems like a good deal. Look out for Letgo weirdos though, lol.

Looks Westfield built, seems like a good deal. Look out for Letgo weirdos though, lol.
People on Lego all seem to take forever to respond if they even do.Yeah its a 50 mile drive to go get and I dont have time to wait on flakes to answer me.You cant trust people these days.I miss out on good deals due to idiot sellers.

Don'tcha hate it when the bargain is far away?! To answer your specific question; yeah, the drive train could be replaced with more modern pieces. Re-sell the skiptooth parts you take off and you might even recoup the cost of the project.

that skip tooth mess
Yes, but not sure about some older cranks/sprockets. Recently, I checked an older 24T skip tooth with another (less rusty) crank, and found that the drive pin location was a bit off. (I'll keep those original parts together).
Replacement cranks can be easily found too.

Another option is the aftermarket skip tooth cogs that interface with Shimano & Sturmey Archer 3-lug hubs.

What kinda bike is it? The seller and I talked by phone . So6nds like a junk hoarder old bum. I will think about it but 50 mikes each way for junk seems like a lot to go thru for it. I am not sure I like it that much. My plans were to maybe replace wheels and crank and ride as is.

Last edited:
1940 Columbia? Looks a lot like it. Coulda' been badged a number of ways, but a Westfield product in any event.

IMAG0320.jpg

Couldnt resist I went and got for 15 bucks. Old guy just wanted it gone. Shes rough. Wheels are toast. Frame and fenders are good. I think some wheels and a crank will make it rideable. Of course it needs grips, seat etc. but thats what makes it fun.

Last edited:
I'd say you got one heck of a deal there...and I wouldn't be so quick to condemn any of the parts you mentioned without thoroughly examining them first. From the photo alone, the only things I'd hunt down for sure are grips, tires, and tubes. Many here have started with less and achieved spectacular results.

Definitely a good deal! Don't throw anything away. Change out the cranks and wheels for a good riding bike, put a IGH with coaster on for a even easier ride.

It looks like the forks have too much forward bend in them, maybe just the way it's supposed to be.

If you find a serial number, probably on the left dropout, the Mr. Columbia webpage has tons of info and lists the year for the numbers.

http://vintagecolumbiabikes.com/id79.html

The forks looked foreword to me too but I think there made that way. The old fenders are pretty thin and bent. I may toss them and ride bareback. Do7n a crank swap today and some loner wheels to see how it rides.

fbdd33f49f0a94c1d6be477d9224e50e.jpg
With

With a few borrowed parts I had it riding. Now I will set it aside until I can locate a junk Wally cruiser for some wheels. I salvaged the front one but it wont last long.As for that raked fork it steers fine with no side pull so I assume its factory made like that.

Stick that skip tooth stuff in cleaning vinegar for a day, and it will be like new.

Back