What's the most common type of bike you see in your area?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the most common type of bike you see in your area?

• Old School BMX

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Ballooner

• Old lightweights/middleweights

• Vintage 10-speed

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Cruiser Reproductions

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Fixies/Singlespeeds

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Chopper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mountain bikes

Votes: 31 60.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Whether you see a bike locally for sale or cruising down your city or neighborhood, tell us what the most common type of bike you notice in your area.

In Grand Rapids, Michigan, I always see vintage 10-speeds. It is very rare for me to catch an old school BMX bike cruising down the road. It seems like road bikes are on top.

What about you?

You forgot mountain bikes. Thats all I seam to see around here, and lotsa road bikes. I definately stand out when I go ridin with my old ballooners or banana seats.

HotRodRob said:
You forgot mountain bikes. Thats all I seam to see around here, and lotsa road bikes. I definately stand out when I go ridin with my old ballooners or banana seats.

Fixed it. There are a TON of mountain bikes here too...

The DFW CL usually has a pretty good mix of everything...and lots of them!

HotRodRob said:
That's just like in CT :wink:

mountain bikes, well really here in Dallas we should call them "off-road" bikes...not to many mountains here :p and lots of high $$$ roadies. On the weekends, all of the narrow two lane highways in the suburbs are covered in peletons clad in spandex. :roll:
Oddly enough Dallas has one of the largest off-road clubs in the world w/ a huge number of trails that they take care of and are great to ride on. Although I'm not a member, I do use the trails and thank them regularly for the upkeep which they do through all volunteers.
check it out if you get a chance...www.dorba1.com

Right here in my town, I'd say 70% high-end Road bikes/34% high-end MTB's. The other 1% are mine :D
Seriously, I very rarely see people riding casual/hybrid/rat rod etc. here in town. Most people that ride casually have beach cruisers and take them to the beach.

kids = cheapo walmart bmx or a new bmx from danscomp, some mountain bikes

older people 20s-40s = mountain bikes or english style 3 speed diamond frames that usually look like they came from walmart or the pawn/resale shop

really old people :lol: = new/old cruisers, trikes, walmart comfort bikes

ive got 1 of each :mrgreen:

Gold Street Customs said:
At least I don't fit into the really older crowd,,,,yet :roll:
And what do you have one of each ? people or bikes :lol:

all of the above :mrgreen:

It was meant all in fun of course Jim :wink: ,
like mom always used to say "if you don't fit in, lose some weight" of course she was usually talking about clothes, and speaking of clothes ... dad always used to say " these pants are like a cheap motel ... no ball room." badumpbump :mrgreen:

sorry for getting off topic Mesa :lol: it's Friday and I'm a little bit slap happy today for some reason.

I see mountain bikes with spandex or street clothes and road bikes with spandex.
Kids and teenagers ride BMX bikes. Little girls are riding Wal Mart princess white tire bikes.

I've seen a couple of people in this town riding cruiser bikes. Folks here constantly refer to them as beach bikes.

....oddly enough, I just took my cruiser "Beach Bike" to the actual beach in N.C. and all the folks there were riding these odd looking mountain bike looking cruisers or actual mountain bikes. The cruisers were mostly rentals from what I could tell and the frames had straight bars like an 90's huffy mountain bike. I saw a couple of new Wal Mart Huffy cruisers and a few old Schwinns....but mostly the beach bikes didn't look like beach bikes. :mrgreen:

We have road bikes mostly , a lot from the Boston area . Cape Cod has become quite a biking place to be this year. There are few custom bikes here, but it's all tourist biking. In my neighborhood we have the Nickerson State Park with its miles of paved bike paths and dirt trails in a wooded landscape with small hills from the last ice age, kettle holes left from melting glacial poop. Still with a nice bike trail almost the entire length of the Cape along with pleasant back roads the tourist insist on using the most dangerous roads here :( .
I'm doing my best to show off the custom bikes and I think they are coming around..................lifes to short to ride an ugly bike.............

GL

My area is mountanous so, yup mountain bikes... never a cruiser in sight... 'cept mine... oh and me brothers...

From Charlotte cl (since my local cl will have maybe 5 bikes listed pre WEEK), I'd have to say cheap mtb's, followed by cheap bmx, then kiddie bikes. -Adam

SoCal beach boardwalks, Ballooners!!!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back