What's the best way to restore leather seat color?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an old troxel seat from '57 that is in good shape for it's age. There's parts where the black color is coming off which doesn't look like it's damaging the leather underneath it, which makes me suspect the seat was originally brown and the owner tried painting it. The thing is, if it was painted it isn't peeling, flaking, or cracking, except for where it's already come off, and the parts that are still black look pretty good. If it wasn't black before, that's really the color I'd like it to be.

Any suggestions?
aq004cn3.jpg

I have acouple of seats coming that are in distress and I plan on trying to restore at least the color with danish oil. You can buy it in small cans and get it at any home improvement store. Once it is wiped down throughly and you have achieved the right shade you should be good to go.They shold have colors that are almost black. 8)

Thanks!!! After looking at the seat a little more closely, I think the original owner did repaint the seat with black paint. Because it's been on for 50+ years, the part that's painted black is really in the grain and looks legit.

I went to two different art stores today to find leather dye, but none of them carried any. It wasn't a problem because both stores were right by an awesome chili dog place and I had myself one truly fantastic chili dog. Is there any local source I can find here that carries leather dye or do you guys buy it off the 'net? I'd like to bypass an online purchase if possible because the Cleveland post office has lost shipments of mine before, and I get neighbor's stuff in my mailbox all the time. And would having a mix of dye and paint be an issue?

tikiharl, thanks for the advice. Does the Danish oil cure in room temperature and does it set well? This seat is going on a gift bike that will be half a continent away, and I'd hate to hear from the owner it's turning their pants black. It's also going to be on a beach bike, so would the humidity make a difference? The heat would probably work in it's favor...........

If you go the danish oil route, just keep buffing it until no more color comes on the cloth.
You really dont have to worry about curing, what soaks in is it ,then wipe and buff.
This will not make it look like a brand new old seat, but should even the color out and make it a little more uniform

I went to two different art stores today to find leather dye, but none of them carried any. It wasn't a problem because both stores were right by an awesome chili dog place and I had myself one truly fantastic chili dog.

Was it "Old Fashion Hot Dogs" (formerly known as "The Hot Dog Inn") on Lorain Avenue around West 40th? That place has the best hot dogs in Cleveland. It's been there since 1928. Babe Ruth ate there.

No, it was a regular cheese coney from Skyline Chili. I'm not a big fan of the Cincinnati style chili, but it had been so long since I've had a chili dog the darn thing tasted like it was sent from Heaven itself. I had a hard time not ordering a second one.

Ironically, I had seen Old Fashion Hot Dogs a couple of times last month because it's fairly close to my favorite bike shop, Fridrich's, and one of my CL bike sources. I had no idea the place had that much history to it, it doesn't look like much from the outside. Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll go there and check it out. I think I can handle another chili dog.

Latest posts

Back