What year of Hawthorne?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished building up this Wards Hawthorne, and I'm not sure what year the frame is. This isn't a stock build, but the crank and chainrings came with it. The paint was added later. I'm trying to find out what year it's from. Any help would be appreciated! The serial number is k93911.
Thanks!
-David

CRUISERBB_zpsa75cae20.jpg

CRUISER2BB_zpsf77fc17a.jpg

20131012_152535_zps0b6092d4.jpg

Cruiser3BB_zpsc5c53f9d.jpg

The frame is a standard, late pattern, Cleveland Welding built “3-Gill” frame. The “K” serial numbers were produced during late 1941. The pattern of the chain ring was used exclusively on Montgomery Wards for their Hawthorne line at that time. The fork is not a CWC unit and is a replacement from another bike.

A similar CWC sourced 3-Gill model is shown in the 1940 MW catalog but the 1941 catalogs only depict the bicycles built by H.P. Snyder, another supplier to MW.

This bike:

http://scottbuchanan.freeservers.com/1941hawthorne.html

is by no means entirely “correct” but it gives a general answer as to how your bike was originally equipped.

rms37 said:
The frame is a standard, late pattern, Cleveland Welding built “3-Gill” frame. The “K” serial numbers were produced during late 1941. The pattern of the chain ring was used exclusively on Montgomery Wards for their Hawthorne line at that time. The fork is not a CWC unit and is a replacement from another bike.

A similar CWC sourced 3-Gill model is shown in the 1940 MW catalog but the 1941 catalogs only depict the bicycles built by H.P. Snyder, another supplier to MW.

This bike:

http://scottbuchanan.freeservers.com/1941hawthorne.html

is by no means entirely “correct” but it gives a general answer as to how your bike was originally equipped.

What's your opinion on the build I have going right now?

Just sitting here on Colfax at the Ramada when I noticed the very nice build on the State Rotunda? / circle of death. Nice bike! I'm here visiting my daughter till tomorrow . You do the cruiser rides?

I was in Denver on Colfax when I cruised the site we were visiting my daughter. Do you do the Denver Cruiser Rides if so you may know some of my other Denver friends Austin W. Damon B. Alex R. Emily R. Drew L. (Subadrew) a fun bunch!

XC204 said:
I was in Denver on Colfax when I cruised the site we were visiting my daughter. Do you do the Denver Cruiser Rides if so you may know some of my other Denver friends Austin W. Damon B. Alex R. Emily R. Drew L. (Subadrew) a fun bunch!
Really havent done any cruiser rides. I should get on that.

Cool bike man... Nice build and a unique look that will turn heads! What size of wheels did you go with?

invesions said:
Cool bike man... Nice build and a unique look that will turn heads! What size of wheels did you go with?

Hey I appreciate it! they're 26 inch wheels. Bendix rear hub and new departure front. Need to be rebuilt for sure though. Currently working on getting the second headlight up and running! I'm gonna run two generators..

Latest posts

Back