What would you pay?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a guy on CL looking to sell a vintage schwinn, no year, for $300.

do you think its worth it?

[img]http://img813.imageshack.us/im.../profile.imageshack.us/user/raybiess]raybiess at 2012-02-24[/url]

[img]http://img819.imageshack.us/im.../profile.imageshack.us/user/raybiess]raybiess at 2012-02-24[/url]

It almost looks as old as dirt............................hahahaha

i personally (just my two cents) i wouldnt pay more than 50 bucks for that :| and im not a cheap ... ive with all respect paid much less for a much better bikes... he probably the kind of guy that think hes has something " super viintage" "antique" and think its worth a fortune i wouldnt pay for it personally....just wait he will knock it down a bunch...trust me....... happy hunting

I don't think its worth it. Ask for a picture of the of the serial number and you can figure out the year.

I turned down a Typhoon that looked exactly like that, priced at $90 at an antique store this week.

I might have gone $50.

just my .02.

Nope, too much! Its a shame that people replace the S in Schwinn with a dollar sign! They have no clue, but assume its worth sooo much more. :roll:

If it was original paint, I'd say 100$ would be fair.. but it's not original paint. Though it looks like there's a Brooks style saddle on there.. if it is indeed a Brooks, those are pricey bits and bring 50-75+$ in nice shape alone.

Looks like a 1950's Schwinn American. If the wheels are original I'd say $100 would be fair but I'd try to get it for $50-$75. $300 is the Mike and Frank price.

Not for no $300 :shock: . Lets half that number (150) then half it again (75) and there is your fair price. It is a Schwinn, and they are very well built... and a few years ago, I rode by a garage sale in town and saw (or maybe even smelt it) a 70's Schwinn cruiser with mismatched/off brand wheels (80's purple anodized), MX/BMX style handlebars with an old school BMX gooseneck and a rotten seat with no fenders or chainguard. I offered the guy $75 (which ws very generous on my part) and he litterally laughed me out of his yard, coming off like it was some one off and he had the original reciept for the bike (which was a 73', nothing special) in his wallet and to come back with $200 for it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (side note: that bike sat for sale at $200 for a whole month before I seen the family had moved away)

Moral of the story.. "some people" :roll:

Sounds like another poor soul who has fallen under the spell of:

The Myth of the Ten Thousand Dollar Bicycle!

It goes something like this- "I heard of this guy who had like this rusty old bike in the attic, and it turns out it was this antique Schwinn worth like ten thousand bucks..."

Fill in the details. :roll:

JWM

Forget the name and look at the bike, looks like 6 cantilever frame bikes I've got at my house, and none of them are Schwinns. I don't play the name game, I look at the bike, that one, maybe $50, if I needed another plane jane cantilever at my house... which I don't, so at $50 right now, I'd pass.

Yeah but you can NEVER have too many cantilever frames.
P8240009.jpg

P8240006.jpg

PB070170.jpg

and one that is backward
P8240020.jpg

Back