What Would You Do.?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:39:I guess with a 20" bmx there's not enough room to drive it down far enough to put another post in there. Maybe a long shot, but maybe an old 13/16" post would fit inside.:crazy:

:39:I guess with a 20" bmx there's not enough room to drive it down far enough to put another post in there. Maybe a long shot, but maybe an old 13/16" post would fit inside.:crazy:
I was thinking the same thing but I need to get a 13/16 seat post to see if it will slid inside the 7/8..

Home depot carries these internal pipe wrenches.... just a thought.. maybe try the spin and pull method.

Attachments

• 56fa3654-dce1-4dec-8fc7-96c86927619c_400.jpg
    56fa3654-dce1-4dec-8fc7-96c86927619c_400.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 145
I saved a frame once by drilling the seat post out. Big drill bit is expensive. Lot of work, but I got it out. The frame had a great overall rust patina that I didn't want to ruin with heat or anything else. Not easy, but it worked. Be careful that you are drilling straight, or you might drill out the side of the seat tube.

Maybe cut a hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket and hammer a steel rod on the bottom of the seat post.
This had been done before on the site with success...

Luke.

Do you have a blowtorch?
Use it to heaten up the outer tube. The heat expands the metal and the inner tube becomes loose.
I use this method frequently with good results.

To ease the inner tube out you can easily make a hook of some scrapmetal and use it to pull.
If it´s still tight take some wice grips to hold the hook and bang below the grips with hammer.

In the past I have had success mounting a hacksaw blade in my small pneumatic reciprocating saw. Stick the blade into the tube and keep it parallel. It is still a time consuming process but it works. You need to keep the speed low on the saw work on getting the cut started near the top and gradually working down the inside of the post or the blade just wobbles near the tip. Do two opposing cuts and use a small chisel to start working the post away from frame. Good luck!

Back