What truing stands are worth the money?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice about what truing stands are worth the money?

At our house it's time to learn to build wheels. It'll be easier with that really pretty $200 Park Tool Pro Truing Stand, but it's going to take a lot of truing to justify spending $200 for a single-purpose tool. There's a $30 Park Tool Truing Stand that requires the $150 Park Tool repair stand, but it looks like it's worth a whole lot less, too. Is it worth buying the $30 thingie, or better to just do without and true wheels on the bike?

If you occasionally build or true wheels, what have you found is really worth owning?

While I now own the $200.00 pretty Park stand (I'm a bike tool , what can I say? Plus, watch Nashbar for sales and coupons and such - you can get them cheaper!) I built plenty of wheels using a flimsy $30.00 Minoura folding stand. It worked fine, just lacked the "cool factor" of the Park...

I've got both the $200 stand and the attachment that goes on the bike stand. I love my big stand but I would skip the $30 attachment, you can just flip the bike in the stand, if it has a rim brake use those as a guide for truing, if not put a zip tie on the stays. I've got a PCS 4 bike stand and the attachment mounts with the wheel slot upside down, kind of clumsy if you ask me.

MAKE ONE!
sensor said:
im a big fan of keeping my cash and making stuff so i figured id start a thread on low buck D.I.Y. things that come in very handy...
ill start with this one:
truing stand for $3 :shock:
IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

the steel was a weight bench that was a trash grab(shhhh dont tell anyone i took some trash!!)
the pointers are some glass setting tools(got those from our glass guy for free)
just need to sand it down after i make the adjustable wing nut mounts for the glass sticks(aka bones)
but the wing nuts/bolts to do that will come to about $3(
im also going to add another bone to the bottom so i can do lateral and radial truing
anyone here could make the same for $5-$15 depending on if you have to buy the steel or bones...
okay...i showed one of my made tools....add to em guys!
build 'em dont buy 'em!!

Can hold up to 5" wide wheels and 30" tall. So pretty much any wheel you toss in will fit.

Back