What to do.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Walmart Special Huffy....

this one to be exact...

0002891456360_500X500.jpg

Being my first bike, should i start customizing this one? Or save and buy a felt or something of the like?

Just a little insight would be great. I'd hate to toss money at the Huffy only to buy something else in the end.

It really wouldn't take much money to make it your own so you won't be riding the same bike as someone else on the road until you save up for something else. Just depends on your attitude. I would never save up to buy a Felt, not that they aren't awesome, it's just that they are pricey and once you get it, you still have the same bike as someone else standing in line to purchase one. So I'd prefer to take what I have and build it on the cheap to make it different, to make it mine.

A little spray paint and some masking tape goes a long way to make something look totally different.

Kinda like my build off bike, I'm still not close to spending $100 on it (link in signature).

easiest and kinda cheapest way to really change them and make them cooler, add a chrome springer, keeping the front fender. and changing the pedals and possibly the seat also gives it a more custom look.really want to go for it, change the stem, theyre always a dead give away for me. just look at the swapmeet and cl and youll be on your way to an inexpensive awesome cruiser!

Yup, some rattle cans, wrenches and creativity can go a long way. Better off to learn the ins and outs on a cheapy first, I'd say.
Here's mine, with just a strip down, repaint and fenders removed. Very little money spent to achieve a completely different bike with a whole new attitude.
5759850806_281bf0a4bf_z.jpg

Wolf's Den Garage said:
Yup, some rattle cans, wrenches and creativity can go a long way. Better off to learn the ins and outs on a cheapy first, I'd say.
Here's mine, with just a strip down, repaint and fenders removed. Very little money spent to achieve a completely different bike with a whole new attitude.
5759850806_281bf0a4bf_z.jpg
Is that the stock handlebars flipped?

Cranbrooks are nice cheap new bikes, but you could do better on cl finding a different cruiser style bike, and it might be better quality.

Mod the Huffy! I say this with a bias, of course, since I'm doing that very thing with my own Cranbrook. It's my first build bike, and I'm sorta in love with it. Truth be told, You're buying a new, rolling frame, and I've discovered with my own build that the only thing that'll be left original is the frame. And the wheels, for now.

That being said, my next build will be a Felt, and if you start with this, then you definitely won't finish with something that someone else already owns.

No matter what you do, happy building!

What up jon. Hit me up if you wanna get in on the pub pedal coming soon.
Vws and old bikes go good together....

barkeep said:
What up jon. Hit me up if you wanna get in on the pub pedal coming soon.
Vws and old bikes go good together....
Hey dude. I'm down....

Looks like im gonna sell the bug. I started my masters, thinking about a 2nd kiddo, and could use the cash to pay off some bills.

Let me know if you know anyone. I just put case savers, new rings, new gasket kit and few other things to freshen the motor up. Should have it back in the car this weekend.

Wolf's Den Garage said:
ThirdCoast said:
Wolf's Den Garage said:
Yes, and cut 2.5" then wrapped with bar tape. This bike is motorized now.
I've thought about this mod as well. What brand did you use?

Brand? Bars or tape? Bars are stock. Tape is some cheapy stuff from my LBS.
lol i quoted the wrong one, i wanted to know about the motor the other guy used.

Back