What to do with a tweener?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bike, a 1997 High Zoot, Stealth, full suspension MTB is what I'd cal a tweener. It's too new to be vintage but too old to be modern. It is very rare being what it is but this one is also custom painted and all parts were picked by me and I layed up the frame. I believe we sold somewhere around 300 bikes, kind of hard to remember that far back. It might have been attached to some of the lost brain cells.
Anyway, I'd like to build a custom cruiser now but I'm not sure what is the best thing to do with the Stealth. Should I just sit on it for more years until it might be a collector bike or sell it now and be done with it? I have to admit there is some sentimental value to it, which makes it hard for me to put a price on it.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd say clean it up and put her in the collection for old times sake. Pass it onto the kids.

I still have my first real mountain bike, and after ten years sitting there I'm riding it again! :roll:

80s-90's mountain bikes are keepers. I turned my '89 SuperGo Access Comp into a winter road training bike:

5055130698_0fd325d2b3_b.jpg

Thanks, I think I'll keep it for awhile and just start collecting parts to build something. I think I'll start with a cantilever frame of some sort and go from there.

I have a nice American M-16 that was built here in MN. I''m still on the hunt for a nice set of period cranks, 8 speed shifters, and stem.

I also have a set of SPIN wheels.

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

DSC00608.jpg

XTR Cassette, der's and hubs. polished everything I could for now, RIngle QRs, Manitou 3 built, Control Tech Bar ends, 1" Chris King and more to come as I find it.

The High Zoot is AWESOME.

utilityart said:
My bike, a 1997 High Zoot, Stealth, full suspension MTB is what I'd cal a tweener. It's too new to be vintage but too old to be modern. It is very rare being what it is but this one is also custom painted and all parts were picked by me and I layed up the frame. I believe we sold somewhere around 300 bikes, kind of hard to remember that far back. It might have been attached to some of the lost brain cells.
Anyway, I'd like to build a custom cruiser now but I'm not sure what is the best thing to do with the Stealth. Should I just sit on it for more years until it might be a collector bike or sell it now and be done with it? I have to admit there is some sentimental value to it, which makes it hard for me to put a price on it.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd wander over to the MTBR retro forum in the link below, and post it in the "What's it worth?" sticky. Even though it's not super old, the rarity might override that.

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Beau said:

That's got some NICE welds! Wish I could weld like that :roll: Mine always look like 40 year old chewing gum on the bottom of a school desk.

Yeah the welds on that are sweet. Mine aren't pretty but so far they haven't failed me. I do like my grinder...

Here are a few pics of my Stealth.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Thanks Dingo.
I was really happy when I built it. The paint turned out just about like I wanted. I told the painter what I was thinking and gave him some license to do what he wanted. wanted to use a red headset and stem to balance out the cranks but we didn't have any at that time and I was too late to send it out for anodize.

I'm thinking about putting some 24" BMX cruiser bars on and a more comfortable seat and just call it good. I got to be careful though I don't want a grandpa seat on there. I think I can get away with some 5" rise bars without it getting too goofy looking.

The Kore Strictly D or older 2 piece riser would be cool also. I have risers on it now but I'm looking for a little more rise.

Resurrecting this from the dead to say good bye to the old girl. It is in the capable hands of the USPS on it's way to Czech Republic to a new owner who seems to really appreciate the bike and brand. I'll probably kick myself for selling it someday... oh well.

I feel your pain. Lets make sure we're wearing comfortable shoes when we kick ourselves later..I just sold my Rhygin Juke (frame) last night. Mine's headed to the UK. I had a lot of overseas inquires; Japan, Germany, Singapore. Did you get that too?

No I really only had one inquiry, but it really wasn't for sale. The guy was searching for a Stealth and found this thread on Google. I've still got my fingers crossed that the delivery goes well and I don't get a bunch of angry emails about something or another. I packed the heck out of it, lots of bubble wrap and cardboard and foam.

Latest posts

Back