What the schwinn is this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found more bike under the tree at my father-in-law. It a high bike that i had to stretch my leg to get on it. :shock: I was thinking maybe i could fix her up and it would be fun riding that high. :lol:

Any idea what year and model of schwinn is it?

100_1604.JPG

100_1605.JPG

100_1606.JPG

100_1607.JPG

100_1608.JPG

100_1609.JPG

100_1611.JPG

100_1612.JPG

Yes! I know. Look at the length of the head tube! crazy isn't it?

I have figure out that it made in july 27, 89 or 99.

I agree, a Varsity or one of the other models from the 70's. That looks like a 27" frame. Measure from the center of the cranks to the top of the seat tube. It might even be bigger.
Chicago schwinns were last made in the early 80's, so this should be made July 22, 79. You should have a serial number across the bottom of the head tube that starts with "GQ" if that's right.

I will have to run to my father-in-law's home and measure it up. Probably will take it home with me and check for any more of serial number.

I have one from 1990 or so with a 27" frame. Mine has the Traveler moniker. I've seen some called something else other than Varsity as well. Can't think of it though. I'm not a Schwinn guy though.

here's mine (best pics I have at work):
With my silly boy
DSC03184.jpg

with most of his and my collection:
IMG00034-20090418-1410.jpg

Still trying to decide if I want to sell it. I never ride it anymore. :cry:

More than likely a Continental, I have found many taller frames of that model.The Aluminum quill stem would tend to support that as well as the Continental was the next grade over the Varsity.

Back