What is this noise!!! Ahhhhh!!! (W/ Video)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, late 40s Rollfast. New BB, and new bearings in a ND model D hub. I'm thinking the noise is from the hub.... BUT I have no idea why or what to do. Help!

Also, I am aware that part of the noise is the crank hitting the kick stand. I'm talking about the other noise...

I had an old WF make a noise nearly the same, I had a piece turned around in the rear hub. I took it apart and reversed it and the noise was gone. Maybe a retainer clip.

Yes. It only happens when pedaling. And most especially when I'm standing and cranking with force.

I just disassembled the hub and inspected and put it back together this morning. Nothing that I can detect is wrong with the rear hub. So, my plan is to pull the new BB I put in and throw the old one back in to see what effect that has.

I had the same kind of noise after replacing the crank.
It was from one of the peddals, but it cleared out after a couple of kilometers.

yours sounds a litle wors.

Lucky Strike said:
Yes. It only happens when pedaling. And most especially when I'm standing and cranking with force.

I just disassembled the hub and inspected and put it back together this morning. Nothing that I can detect is wrong with the rear hub. So, my plan is to pull the new BB I put in and throw the old one back in to see what effect that has.

Uuhhhhhhh.... I'll bet it's the BB bearings!

I got lazy when I put mine back together. I tried to replace the re-greased bearings and put the crank assembly back without removing the rear wheel or removing the chain.....never again.

That sounds like the chain rubbing on the fender. If the problem is internal,use the mechanics stethoscope ; a large flatblade screwdriver. Press the blunt handle to your outer ear and the metal tip to the bike frame while turning the pedals. Move around side to side, axle to bottom bracket.

Listening again, I'll agree, it sounds like the chain is barely touching the edge of the fender, and it may only when the frame flexes when you are putting weight on the cranks, allowing the chain to move slightly inward.

Back