what if I made replica truss rods available?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I made a cool set of replica truss rods available for purchase how much should they cost and who would be interested in buying them?

My thought would be to do the old style collar drop center pinch type.
Any suggestions?

Pictures would definetly help

I would suggest building a few sets, then throw em out there for sale and see what happens. I would think if its a kit that includes the rods and bracket, with all hardware, it should sell pretty good. just a guess on price... 30-40$??

I'll get some pics of what I'm thinking of. I don't think they would have the braces off the top of the forks, but they would be generally low profile.

I'm thinking early Schwinn replicas that would look appropriate on any postwar bike, or help to make a newer bike resemble a postwar.

Same thing that went on a 50s Schwinn.
I'll post pics.
trussroddesign.jpg

Ok this is just my input , but your on a website where its pretty much do it yourself. If you have a cool idea don't think 5000 orders will roll in. The most used phrase here is "Man that's a good deal I wish I wasn't broke" Good luck and I hope it works out for you. :lol: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Ok this is just my input , but your on a website where its pretty much do it yourself. If you have a cool idea don't think 5000 orders will roll in. The most used phrase here is "Man that's a good deal I wish I wasn't broke" Good luck and I hope it works out for you. :lol: :lol:

Very good Stretch. I've certainly considered that angle. I'm just asking and it's not a forgone conclusion that I'm jumping in. Just testing the waters.

No springers, but I have discussed a 6-link girder ( Ala Girvin except they would work) with a coil over shock with my fab genius twin brother. We determined it would take too long to make any money.

We could make one, but then we would want 15 grand for it and we would sit it in front to the television and stare at it all day.

Ratfink1962 said:
Pictures would definetly help

I would suggest building a few sets, then throw em out there for sale and see what happens. I would think if its a kit that includes the rods and bracket, with all hardware, it should sell pretty good. just a guess on price... 30-40$??

Yeah. Kinda compete with the slow trickle of actual originals for sale. We would have to be less, but this specific design seems to garner a lot more money than the separated, straddle-link type.

Lonewolf said:
Yeah. Kinda compete with the slow trickle of actual originals for sale. We would have to be less, but this specific design seems to garner a lot more money than the separated, straddle-link type.
Anything Schwinn automatically sells for more money. If you could reproduce them with Schwinns OK then you might be able to make money. If you use their name and don't get permission then they will come after you.
The other issue I see would be that different bikes require different length truss rods.

If you use their name and don't get permission then they will come after you.
The other issue I see would be that different bikes require different length truss rods.[/quote]

I wouldn't dream of using the Schwinn name, but the length issue is easily handled by having a slot hole at the bottom. I know the one's I bought fit just right, but they had a slot for the axle to go through rather than just a simple hole.

Lonewolf said:
Uncle Stretch said:

Very good Stretch. I've certainly considered that angle. I'm just asking and it's not a forgone conclusion that I'm jumping in. Just testing the waters.

No springers, but I have discussed a 6-link girder ( Ala Girvin except they would work) with a coil over shock with my fab genius twin brother. We determined it would take too long to make any money.

We could make one, but then we would want 15 grand for it and we would sit it in front to the television and stare at it all day.

Yeah I don't think I'd pay 15 grand for a springer, I'm wanting to do something like this on my next build, is there anywhere that sells them?
springerblack.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
That springer looks cool , but it looks like a Harley one. Real expensive. :lol:
I did say something LIKE it. just cheaper....lol. I'll probably use a set of tripple tree forks and make a bracket to bring some truss rods through with springs and such.

When I was a designer for Confederate Motorcycles, we were all about the "Elemental". There was no ornamentation, no excessive complexity, no decorum.

Just clean, simple, lightweight, strong and functional.

By that standard, I should be into road bikes, but I'm not.

A quad beehive springer would never have made it onto the front of one of our bikes.

A girder with a Penske coil over, however, eventually did.

Hey the rods them selves are an easy build. Focus on Making a nice clamp. thats the hard part.
Also would you offer them Chrome or Raw ??

outskirtscustoms said:
Lonewolf said:
Uncle Stretch said:

Yeah I don't think I'd pay 15 grand for a springer, I'm wanting to do something like this on my next build, is there anywhere that sells them?
springerblack.jpg

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... er-Chrome/

Back