what I love about this place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this place is by far one of the best bike forums out there
almost every person is willing to jump and help a fellow forum member with information on their new find or with ideas or tech advice
tonight I found this ... a forum that was bitching about someone "using the information they learned on that forum"
isnt this the information highway? lol
so I had to share
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=462336

agreed, i love seein all the bikes and checking out all the cool ideas people come up with. friendliest bunch ever right here !!! that why i like this place so much anyway.

that thread is just ridiculous.

"Suppose a person has saved a piece of literature that is not not widely available for several years, and then takes their time to search for the catalog/magazine, scan the page, and then post the image to the internet. That person has made some effort to preserve the information, and has also spent some of their time producing the image (maybe only a few minutes or maybe an hour). They posted that information to help out someone that they thought was genuinely curious about an item.

When the item immediately goes up for sale, that person now has spent their time and effort to provide information. And the person who took the information is rewarded with a high price."

-so set person writes an artical
-next person saves it for several years then duplicates it for thier forum,
-and then they have the nerve to make out like something special was stolen from thier forum for personal gain?

public info reaching the public what will we ever do with ourselves.
guess theres just too much crack for sale on this planet.

It sounds to me like the guy has a problem with people making money off of bike stuff.

He probably believes in redistribution of wealth too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What I like about the forum is the broad appreciation for all types of bikes.

The popularity of the Fresh Finds and Other Bikes sections is a great example of this.

I think this is what keeps the elitist attitude at bay also...no egos always trying to prove their expertise.

I also appreciate how the members have created a helpful, creative, encouraging atmosphere to enjoy the hobby. :D

Rat Rod said:
It sounds to me like the guy has a problem with people making money off of bike stuff.

He probably believes in redistribution of wealth too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I would say he is against the redistribution of wealth he wants all the goodies to himself :p

Wow. Some people's children I tell ya...
Glad I'm on this forum and not somewhere else. First of all, I'd probably get the boot cuz I don't restore bikes, believe bikes have to cost you X amount of dollars to be a worthy of the bike title, or try to be pretensious in any other way. I LOVE that people on here are willing to share information willingly. This place feels like... Home. There's no other way to put it that I can think of... And it's thanks to all the members here who've made it that way. Thanks guys. :mrgreen: 2 big fat thumbs up.

I think the jist of it is that some Ebay profiteer with no love for bikes came in there asking about a Fat Chance frame. His goal was to glom some information to figure out what the market would bear, so that he could maximise the profit on the bike. I will say I have to agree, I don't mind giving information to someone who loves bikes and wants to know everything about a bike they picked up, but not if the reason is so they can ask ridiculous money for it. This is what priced Krates way out of my reach, and almost all Vintage BMX. It's nice when you are selling but when it's something you want it stinks. If you are collecting it's one thing to pay $$$$ for something that is basically going to be displayed like art, but I want to ride the bikes I want to collect, not look at them, so big money collector bikes are not desirable to me. Maybe someday I'll run across a "barn find" looptail SE Racing "P.K.Ripper" and get it for a fraction of what it's "worth", but I would NOT be turning and burning it on Ebay.

A great case in point is that I have a Mongoose Expert, about a 1979, that I don't know much about, but "morally" I don't think I should be asking questions about its value so I can sell it, mainly because I don't want to be one of those scumbag profiteers. At the same time the bike is just taking up space, and I should get a fair price for it. What would you do?

All of what I'ce read here is true, and I still think the OG poster on the other forum was whining WAY too much... That being said, I love it here and wouldn't want to be found anywhere else...

I think that any sort of collectables should be reserved for those who love them, not for those who want to make a quick buck. There are plenty of professions that allow you to make a quick buck, real estate was a good example until recently. Old bikes (old cars, motorcycles, guitars, etc.) a part of history and have "soul", they are not just commodities.

I think it's odd that as buyers that you would want prices to go up.

I'd like to think that others here are in it for the "love" and not the profit, and judging by what get sawn up and customized here, I'd say that's true.

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here.......

I'm a fairly new person to the world of bikes besides riding them as a kid (I remember my first BMX a Ross Pirahna) I stumbled on this site while looking for an old bike after seeing one WT Customs was selling in my area and from the get- go with my barrage of dumb questions ya'll answered them and made me feel like I had been here for years and made a 1000 posts. In fact I've bought a few things from people on this site or they helped me look for what I need whether or not they had them availible for sale.

I believe, honestly, that my new addiction has come around due to the positive help, creative ideas and overall positive response from my posts, builds and stupid comments to all.

Above all else, I want to thank everyone while were talking about how great this forum is and also let everyone know to keep an eye out for my next build (not a klunker) the Meat Plow.....

I'm a diamond frame, lightweight guy so I do most of my posting over on BF. But I've got to tell you I lurk on y'alls website everyday. The creativety and respectful manner you guys display is a refreshing change from the catfight that goes on Bike Forums daily :!: . I wonder if it's an age thing, I'm 50, what's the average age of RR posters?

hmm thats a good question I bet it would be mid to late 30s but there is quite a mix of teens to the 60s
I think its more because we mostly seem like the kind of a crowd that would lean up against the side of a pickup truck and shoot the bull for hours :)
none of us are perfect but as a group we found the perfect spot to lean :)
a eclectic group of car guys, bmxers mtbers,road bikers and others who get together here for one reason the love of old bikes!

Rat Rod said:
What I like about the forum is the broad appreciation for all types of bikes.

The popularity of the Fresh Finds and Other Bikes sections is a great example of this.

I think this is what keeps the elitist attitude at bay also...no egos always trying to prove their expertise.

I also appreciate how the members have created a helpful, creative, encouraging atmosphere to enjoy the hobby. :D

why, that's CRAZY TALK!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back