What home made tools have you made?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Let's see what you've made. Some of these specialty tools are just plain expensive. If you don't use them frequently, it's hard to justify the expense.

I had a threadless fork I needed to install a star nut in the steerer. The guy at the bike shoo would do it for free, but I didn't want to drive in Friday rush hour traffic. I decided to make my own star nut installer.

I dug around the garage and pulled out a steel seatpost, washers, nuts, and a bolt with the same threads as the top cap bolt for the star nut. I used a fender washer as a stop and it helps square u p the star nut in the steerer tube. I cut down the post and voila! Works great!
20140403_183733.jpg

Freewheel pullers, made a few out of tool steel, hardened them, lasted better than any others I have bought.

Frame jig, truing stand, layout & welding table, bike(repair)stand, kickstand remover for Schwinns, bearing press, fender holders for bumping dents out & paint, wheel holders for painting rims, and rivet setter. I'm sure I'm forgetting some but those are the only that pop into mind right now.

Forgot my cone spanners on our trip when building BigJim, made up a replacement from some flatbar, still going, I use it more often than the proper tools which sometimes slip...

9003246287_829ab7e048.jpg

Luke.

Like so many others, i've made a headset/ opc cup press out of all-thread, big ol' washers, and nuts. I also use a pvc reducer and some metal pipe to set crown races. I didn't "make" these, but repurposed cheap/free stuff to avoid paying/waiting for specialized tools.

Pedal wrench 9/16" X 15 MM. Flea mkt combi wrenches- cut off box end, ground off open ends to be thinner, 1/2 X 1/2" tube for leverage.

Schwinn Exerciser bike base work table. Top in progress.

Repaired clamp on cheap china bike stand

Tool stand for anvil, 4" vise and english wheel

Regards, Craig.

Back