What does my daughter need to make her cool?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
For you youngsters - I have a daughter who is 18 and a senior in high school. In 7 months she will be living somewhere on or near a college campus and will need a bicycle for daily use. It will probably sit outside, locked to a bike rack day and night, and will probably be subjected to abuse by other neighboring commuter, utilitarian bicycles.

I have boys and girls balooner frames... but I think lightweights may rule on campus??

What can I build her that will reveal her as instantly and unmistakably "cool"? :wink:

Feel free to post pics.

Peatbog said:
Banana seat fixed gear bike.

You may be on to something... I do have a 50's vintage 24in Monark frame that I could build into a sort-of-Manta-Ray config with banana seat and stingray bars...

I would get her a $79 Wal Mart bike. My daughter had 3 bikes stolen when she was in college with three different types of locks! I'd hate to see anyone lose a really cool bike. :wink:

mitchelangelo said:
I would get her a $79 Wal Mart bike. My daughter had 3 bikes stolen when she was in college with three different types of locks! I'd hate to see anyone lose a really cool bike. :wink:

I understand... my older son lost 2 bikes before he moved off campus and started driving... my older daughter lost one... yet still she (this one) must have something. :)

streetpirate's "Rat Salad" build is the ticket. A one way ticket to hipster status imo. What word do them youngsters use to describe something "cool" nowadays? Pimp, boss, rad? Anyway if one were to roll around campus on this whip they would put said passersby at a loss of correct vernacular when attempting to muster up a word that could possibly describe the grand status of said individual. For reals tho, out of inspiration stemming from this bicycle, I am collecting parts for a similar build!
DSC_0020.jpg

Does she think nerd bikes are cool ? I'm thinking a 3 speed Schwinn breeze or a 5 speed collegiate with a basket on it would be nerdy cool, and with a basket on front probably less likely to get nabbed.

CCR said:
Does she think nerd bikes are cool ? I'm thinking a 3 speed Schwinn breeze or a 5 speed collegiate with a basket on it would be nerdy cool, and with a basket on front probably less likely to get nabbed.

Funny you should say that... I have a 5 speed collegiate that my mother (her grandmother :shock: ) used to ride!! I don't know how she feels about it yet. :?:

I would get her a late 60's Schwinn Speedster (camelback frame) with 26" 3 -spd wheels, and put on solid wheel covers. Then she can put stickers on the wheel covers representing things she's into.

thirstee said:
streetpirate's "Rat Salad" build is the ticket. A one way ticket to hipster status imo.... I am collecting parts for a similar build!
DSC_0020.jpg

What is that frame by the way?

ozzmonaut said:
I would get her a late 60's Schwinn Speedster (camelback frame) with 26" 3 -spd wheels, and put on solid wheel covers. Then she can put stickers on the wheel covers representing things she's into.

What are / where do you get these wheel covers?

ozzmonaut said:

This is getting funny...I kept here for my father, her grandfather, a metallic blue camelback speedster 5 speed; that was stolen from a bike rack at his apartment a few years ago. :shock:

Isn't it a law of physics that parents cannot really know what is *cool* by their off springs' standards? I mean, once you think you know, that makes it uncool, right? :mrgreen:
That bike is so cool that it would totally defy this rule if it is indeed a rule

I'd say find an old Raleigh 10 speed frame, strip the paint off, clear coat it, then add a brooks seat with a quick release seat clamp so it can be removed to prevent theft, add a hammered finish copper color painted rack and big brass headlight for a killer steampunk look, some shortie fenders, and a fixed gear wheel set for simplicity and easy maintenance.

What does ehe need to make her cool? I asked my wife, she reckons an hour in the freezer ought to do it... :)

outskirtscustoms said:
I'd say find an old Raleigh 10 speed frame, strip the paint off, clear coat it, then add a brooks seat with a quick release seat clamp so it can be removed to prevent theft, add a hammered finish copper color painted rack and big brass headlight for a killer steampunk look, some shortie fenders, and a fixed gear wheel set for simplicity and easy maintenance.
^^^This bike would be cool anywhere... 8)

Luke.

Get her the cheapest ugliest Goodwill bike you can find. Anything with any "cool factor" at all will get stolen. Gary

Let me go a different direction than everyone else, when I was in college some girls rode bikes, very few, and I never remember thinking any of them "cool." after graduating and getting married my wife and I lived in a different college town (Greenville, NC) and one day I saw a girl riding through campus on a white BMX bike and immediately I though "That's cool."

So, I vote BMX. Small and nimble for campus sidewalks and easy to take inside for theft protection. Tough and can be beat up. No baskets needed since most all students just carry what they need in a back pack. Fully color customizable to taste.

I don't get it...is asking her not an option?

There are literally a billion combinations of parts you could use to build her a bike...the chances of you selecting the best one without her input is slim to none.

I'm constantly amazed at what kids are into these days, just like my parents couldn't understand what I thought was cool when I was a kid. Unless a 20-22 year old girl chimes in here, I think you're spinning your wheels.

Back