What Do RRB Members Think of The NBHAA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Schwinnmesa,

Yes, I most certainly was. I guess I was baiting him by saying "no need to reply" too. Still, it seems like a normal person would reply to my query along the lines of. "Hmm. Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm guessing this came out about 1978, depending on the color and the color and style of the headbadge decal. Unfortunately WF used many different serial numbers around this time, so if you could send me some clear photos of the X, the Y and Z, that would help."

But according to other folks, it seems like even if I had followed his directions to the letter, I'd get a similar reaction.

Alas, I've seen too many people online who go from 0 to 60 on the hostility scale for any perceived slight on their knowledge or superiority. You can't reason with them. It's best to just avoid them and feel sorry for them.

The only bike factory in Little Rock was AMF, so it's likely that's who made it for Western Auto. No real info available for later amf serials, so ANYONE would be guessing, unless you happened to find an old catalog and match up your bike! ...That's a typical response from "Uncle Leotard" though!! :lol: -Adam

Thanks Adam!

I've got almost everything stripped off the frame, and yes it does say AMF in a couple of places. It's reassuring to know I'm not alone with the reaction from ol' Leon. I'm merely curious, but it would be fun to find an old catalog, if Western Auto had catalogs? This thing is really pretty bottom-of-the line. The paint is cheap and awful and it's not just because of age. A far cry from the awesome old WF cruisers y'all have on here. But it's going to be fun to fix up. I never thought I'd say that! I normally don't like getting my hands dirty--that's what bike shop guys are for. :)

Its shame that people go overboard thinking that everyone has read the rules of their site and are not going to follow ''their '' rules while just being to the point. I for one don't like to chit chat and ask how the weather is if I need some info. I get to the point and keep going and say thanks.

I hate to see a hobby or hobbyist derailed,soured, or just plain turned off by people like this. I 've seen this happen before on another hobby of mine and it just goes to prove that people that are purists and historically correct restorers can spew their knowledge the wrong way. If you only want general info I would wing it on your own if its not that important to you. I don't know anyhting about western flyers or a lot of bikes. I just ride and enjoy em. I don't care about how many parts are mismatched or whatever. Heres mine.
SANY0002-8.jpg

Back