what do i measure for fork swap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this may seem like a very simple question.the hardest part of this equation however is that im very, very mechanically declined. i have an early 20's truss frame.i think originally it was a 28 or 29 inch bike. i would like to attach a springer to it. mostly they are 26 inch i think.so question..what do i have to measure to see if 1.it will fit the frame and 2.if it fits can a 26 inch front be used with the original height in back? or would there be a way to make a springer adapt to the orginal ride height? any help would be greatly appreciated

I've never seen an old 28" bike with a springer, either original or rat rod. I'm sure it can be done, but if you're mechanically declined like you say, I wouldn't even attempt it. Build your frame with a braced truss fork like it came with originally would be my advice. Find a 50's frame for your springer project. Gary

bike2112 said:
or have a LBS (Local Bike Shop) cut it down to match the length of the original fork. Hope this helps and post some pics:

If you shorten the steering tube on a springer you would also have to shorten the upper part of the legs or make special brackets. Gary

Back